Talk

Advanced search

Lunch for 10 (including vegetarians)

(8 Posts)
chicaguapa Sat 25-Jul-15 07:39:15

We have friends coming for lunch tomorrow but the weather has scuppered my plans for what I was going to do (pizzas in the outdoor pizza oven).

Any ideas what I can do instead? I'm somewhat inspired by the baked camembert thread as 2 of the 5 adults are veggie, but DH doesn't like cheese and I'm not sure if the 5 DC will either.

Thanks.

fourtothedozen Sat 25-Jul-15 07:48:37

I tend to cook around a theme, I often cook for vegans and vegetarians too.

I tend to lay the food in the centre of the table and let everyone help themselves seated, or serve more buffet style if there are a lot of us.

!. Lamb chops, vegetable and chick pea tagine, couscous, pitta breads, dips yogurt, salad etc.

2. Chicken tikka kebabs, vegetable kebabs, vegetable curry or daal, chapatis, , poppadoms, pickles, chutnies, dips.

3. Fajitas ( great for kids as they love making their own), I make a plate of chicken & veg fajitas and a plate of mushroom and smoked tofu. Served with tortillas, guacamole, salsa, mexican rice and salad.

FishWithABicycle Sat 25-Jul-15 07:54:19

I would do a big pile of jacket potatoes (you can even do them in your pizza oven if you like) and make a couple of hot toppings e.g. veggie chilli and some other quick and easy options like a bowl of grated cheddar, tuna mayo etc.

Allalonenow Sat 25-Jul-15 08:13:48

A Greek style meal would work well for that number.
Dips and spreads such as aubergine, Tzadziki, taramasalata with flat bread, then moussaka, one made with meat & one made with lentils, served with Greek salad and a couple of vegetable side dishes such as courgette and garlic, baked peppers and olives. Make the vegetable side dishes ahead of time and serve at room temperature.
Puddings could be raspberry fool made with Greek yoghurt and honey, and lemon mousse.

chicaguapa Sat 25-Jul-15 08:15:05

Thank you. All good ideas noted for the future.

I think I'll go with the jacket potato idea as I was planning to cook a chilli in the outdoor oven today anyway. Unfortunately it'll be raining tomorrow so it'll be out of action for the spuds, but I can cook them in the normal oven tomorrow morning.

DoreenLethal Sat 25-Jul-15 08:17:18

Meat eaters can and do eat veggie food, often they are the ones that take it first.

I'd still do pizzas, some cheeseless flatbreads, a salad and some potatoes of some description; along with a selection of cheeses, dips, felafels, rice etc. And have a decent pudding like cake and ice cream.

sooperdooper Sat 25-Jul-15 08:17:42

If still do pizzas as planned but cook them inside, no need for a change of menu at all smile

sooperdooper Sat 25-Jul-15 08:18:51

Oh and not all vegetarians eat cheese, so baked camembert might not be the best plan

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now