Talk

Advanced search

How much cornflour should I add?

(9 Posts)
kCookTester Fri 24-Jul-15 17:22:27

I've made a big chilli using 1.5 kg of mince, 3 tins of tins and 3 tins of beans and 900ml of stock. It really needs thickening, I've taken out more than half a pint of 'juice' and tried to thicken it with 3 teaspoons of cornflour but it still really sloppy.

How much cornflour can I safely add?

Thank you

kCookTester Fri 24-Jul-15 17:23:34

I didn't make it in the cook btw smile

AtTheEndofTheRoad Fri 24-Jul-15 17:28:01

I'd keep simmering to reduce the liquid. Maybe boil some of the liquid you've removed in a separate pan until you've reduced the volume so you don't overlook the chilli and then add it back in. Tomato purée will also thicken it.
If you do all of that and it's still too sloppy you can probably safely add the same again of cornflour. Mix it with some of the liquid in the chilli but make sure it's cooled first.
HTH

WienerDiva Fri 24-Jul-15 17:29:09

Let it cook for 10 minutes to see if it thickens, if not add another couple of teaspoons to cold water, mix and add that in.

CherryBonBon Fri 24-Jul-15 17:30:24

Why not cook it for longer? Let the sauce thicken and the flavours intensify.

Excess cornflour gives a weird gluey-ness to any sauce and if it is all runny now then surely it just hasn't been cooked for long enough?

chaiselounger Fri 24-Jul-15 18:10:42

Don't add any more cornflour whatever you do.
Don't simmer any more either.
Do nothing. Really. It solidifies and gets thicker naturally as it cools. Trust me.

PolterGoose Fri 24-Jul-15 18:16:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LittleBearPad Fri 24-Jul-15 18:19:25

Just keep cooking to reduce the sauce. It'll be fine

kCookTester Sat 25-Jul-15 07:46:16

Thank you all
I didn't add more cornflour just a full tube of tomato purée and that worked. It had been in the slow cooker since 10am so just leaving it longer wasn't an option- I had a hungry crew to feed.

It was a Sliming World recipe -too much stock was listedhmmhmm

Thanks for your ideas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now