Talk

Advanced search

19 month old & chips!

(8 Posts)
starkers1 Fri 24-Jul-15 12:20:41

Hi all
Just hoping for thoughts on me giving my DS chips twice a week...he adores them, loves picking them up in his silly sausage fingers, loves eating them...also makes being out/about and eating in pubs etc very stress free as we know he will always happily munch his way through a side of fries.......otherwise has a pretty healthy diet and is tall and growing well. Is this ok do you think?

SanityClause Fri 24-Jul-15 12:26:02

This is fine, as part of a healthy diet. Do be careful of the salt, though.

Andcake Fri 24-Jul-15 12:43:36

Twice a week feels a lot to me - the salt and fat are the main issues.
I don't think you would ask if you knew it was ok.

SeahorseSid Fri 24-Jul-15 12:45:37

What's wrong with chips? They are just potatoes and oil?
Depends on the salt I suppose - chippy or homemade chips are fine, oven chips just watch the salt levels. Otherwise no different than a roast potato in my book, and preferable to smiley faces and other processed foods

SeahorseSid Fri 24-Jul-15 12:46:57

Toddlers need plenty of fat, most chips are cooked in vegetable oil

Foodteacher Sun 26-Jul-15 22:21:05

Have you tried making chips in the oven? You can then regulate the fat you use (I spray oil onto them - using a pump spray I can put my own oil in) or just drizzle a bit over. The best thing is that you can leave the skin on and, if they're chunky, they don't absorb as much. They also work well with sweet potatoes.
I know the oil possibly isn't a problem now but if you do them this way you can reduce the oil as they get older.
(For my wedges, I add a bit of lazy chilli or paprika - well worth a try).

squizita Mon 27-Jul-15 14:14:14

The only issue is salt.

Babies actually need rather a lot of fat compared to adults!

Make them home made - in the oven. Chop the spuds, toss with olive oil or veg oil, bake for 30 min.
smile

starkers1 Mon 27-Jul-15 16:52:21

Thanks all, fat isn't an issue as he is skinny as so tall and hyper so needs all the fat he can get! Are they really this easy to home make? As I LOVE home made chips smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now