Talk

Advanced search

Sooooo stuck for ideas for summer holiday meals for kids/family

(6 Posts)
Binit Wed 22-Jul-15 14:08:57

What do you feed your kids in the summer holidays? I feel like I have so many meals to produce and am completely stuck for ideas. Kids growing, over 5ft and eating adult portions!

Meat/veggie, any ideas welcome. Tia!

MilkRunningOutAgain Wed 22-Jul-15 14:39:29

I'm aiming to go for minimum effort and cooking over the holidays. Cheese, beans, eggs, sardines on toast, frittatas, kebabs or wraps, pizza, quiche, etc.
Perhaps not Herut as I'm really not planning anything adventurous or new.
I sympathise as I have a rapidly growing 12 yo, he goes through vast quantities of toast, fruit, cereal, yogurt, and has just set off on another bike ride which will end with a raid on the snack section of the fridge ( I've set up one shelf in the fridge that he is allowed to raid, he eats all day long, I let him get on with it himself.).

GiantGaspingSatanicCyst Wed 22-Jul-15 15:08:18

My kids usually eat at the childminder's during term time, so it's a bit of a shock to have to come up with three meals a day every day blush There has been quite a lot of pizza so far...

One thing I have done is enlist their help in menu planning - this week we all wrote down some meal suggestions and put them into a hat, then they take turns pulling one out. Stops them moaning about whatever it is and takes the ennui out of planning for me grin It's even good writing practice!

formerbabe Wed 22-Jul-15 17:34:36

I do one proper cooked meal a day and one easy/cold meal....as well as breakfast obviously!

Hot meal is being made in my slow cooker most days so I put on in morning and I can take kids out and about without worrying about it.

Cold or easy meals consist of anything on toast, sandwiches, pitta and dips with salady bits, pizza with crudités, soup etc etc

Dancingqueen17 Wed 22-Jul-15 19:22:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dementedma Wed 22-Jul-15 19:29:01

Tonight we had meatballs, tomato and basil sauce and tagliatelle.
Yesterday was a surprisingly tasty dish of crushed new potatoes, topped with sweet corn and tuna mixed with mayonnaise, grated cheese on top and bunged in the oven. Cheap and quick and tastes better than it sounds and looks!
This week we have also had fajitas, Florentine pizzas ( chapatti as base, topped with wilted spinach, parma ham, crack an egg in the middle, grate cheese on top and bake)
Potato skins ( jacket pots with middle scooped out, mixed with fried onions, fried bacon bits/chorizo and cream cheese, then this mix piled back into skins and baked and served with salad)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now