Talk

Advanced search

Village Show Compeitions. Help

(18 Posts)
mindblank2014 Tue 21-Jul-15 20:08:39

Hi all

Ive had a crazy idea I may enter the local village show. Never done this before. Just doing for a bit of fun. Im thinkong of entering.
4 chocolate chip cookies. Can i make shortbread recipe with chocolate chips. Or are they classed as a biscuit? Do the cookies have to be a particular size?

Also decorated cupcakes. Do these have to be extravagant icing models on top etc do they all have to be exactly the same? What theme should I work to?

TIA for and replies. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated

marmaladegranny Tue 21-Jul-15 20:18:56

Check with the Show Secretary! Seriously, village shows are very strict and you do not want to be known 'that woman near the church who thought shortbread was cookies' or similar for the next 10 years!

The Show Schedule should specify size, number, exact recipe to use or other instructions - but if not do check. It is very aggravating to spend ages producing something spectacular only for it to be marked 'Not as Schedule'. Here speaks the voice of experience - having dared to put a lid on a jar of lemon curd; it should have had cellophane attached with rubber band……..

mindblank2014 Tue 21-Jul-15 20:37:46

Thank you Marmaladegranny

I have read the leaflet again and found an email address so I have sent them an e-mail.

The schedule just says 4 chocolate chip cookies etc. Does everyone get a comment about what they have made do you know?

It sounds a little scary now. Im not so sure. Hopefully they will respond.

marmaladegranny Tue 21-Jul-15 20:40:38

It's not scary - just village politics!
If they have recognised judges (more likely if combined with a flower and vegetable show) then you may well be left some comments.

JamNan Wed 22-Jul-15 10:56:30

As Marm said check the schedule or ask the show secretary. Also ask if they should be presented on a white china plate otherwise you might get a NAS. Here speaks another voice of experience ...
It's all good fun. Honest!

Let us know how it goes.

mindblank2014 Wed 22-Jul-15 12:27:55

Just had the response and they have just said the only specifis is
4 chocolate chip cookies
5 cupcakes
Any type of card.

So im guessing anything goes. Hopefully I cant go wrong. What do you think? Im hoping now I cant get a NAS unless i put 6 cookies and 3 cupcakes etc.

Do you both still do shows?

Pico2 Wed 22-Jul-15 12:32:37

It must depend on the village. We went to look at ours and there weren't many entries in each category and I'm confident we could have won in at least 4 categories.

JamNan Thu 23-Jul-15 08:37:21

Where I used to live the rules were strict and the Judges all accredited. They had lots of categories including craft, knitting, sewing, baking, bread making, flower arranging, art, photography, veg, fruit, herbs and jam. Everyone was very nice and they all helped new exhibitors. The Village Hall was packed. Where I live now it is a much smaller show and a lot more laid back. I missed the Summer Show because of work but I will do the Autumn show this year - it's a nice way of meeting people.

I have a WI Show Schedule here and there are separate categories for Shortbread and Cookies. It says 'the mixture is rolled in the hands or sliced from a roll, or dropped in spoonfuls onto a baking tray'. (I would follow any of the recipes on BBC Good Food for choc chip cookies and not use a shortbread mixture).

for COOKIES it says:
- uniform size, not too large
- a good balance of flavours for example chocolate chip cookies should taste first of chocolate, blending with other ingredients.

For SMALL FANCY CAKES it says:
- Cakes Cake base usually Victoria sandwich recipe type or Genoese (sometimes specified in schedule)
- Assorted designs, shapes and flavours show greater skill than identical cakes
- A variety of decorating techniques may be used
- nuts, glace cherries etc may be used (but daintily)
-neatness, careful colouring and design important
- cakes uniform in size
- presented in paper cases, but not necessarily baked in them

When I was in M&S last I saw they had some really pretty cake cases. Also, I forgot we had to use a paper doily with a white plate. Take some with you and watch what other people are doing.

Now I fully expect you to win 2 FIRSTS wink cake cake star

UniS Thu 23-Jul-15 09:05:02

Cookies are not shortbread.

mindblank2014 Thu 23-Jul-15 16:33:31

Thank you very much JamNan! I have found a cookie recipe to try and will use that. Must get some doilys too. Some great advice there thank you again.

mindblank2014 Fri 31-Jul-15 17:26:35

Hi all

I couldnt find any doilies. Would a napkin be better or nothing? I will see tomorrow what other people have done still hoping I cant get a NAS as i was told basically no rules about presntation apply etc.

Feeling nervous.

FawnDrench Fri 31-Jul-15 19:04:40

You couldn't find any doilies? How surprising.
Do you live near an Asda?
They have some - see here

mindblank2014 Sat 01-Aug-15 07:43:07

Thank you but I only have Sainsburys and Tescos and I checked both. I thought they would sell them but Ive had no luck

whojamaflip Sat 01-Aug-15 07:54:37

Oooh good luck!

I enter our local show every year - and every year I say never again grin

Lemon drizzle cake is THE class to win - there's always at least 30 entries shock

Did win the chocolate brownies one year and got the comment saying "everything a chocolate brownie should be"! I was very proud!!! grin

JamNan Sat 01-Aug-15 08:58:07

Good luck!
If they are using doilies you could ask other entrants if you can borrow some.
I am not too good on cakes but I did win the loaf of bread every year and I 'nearly' got best in show one year.

mindblank2014 Sat 01-Aug-15 16:39:56

Well done. Whojamaflip and jamnan on your wins.

I got 3 firsts! I had nothing to worry about. Not many entrants which is why im assuming no rules. As they wanted more the merrier. There were only 3 total entrants for each categories. Not going to enter any pro competitions just yet.
Was all lots of fun though!

Thank you for your comments and advice

JamNan Sat 01-Aug-15 21:18:03

YAY! star

whojamaflip Sun 02-Aug-15 14:43:03

Yay well done! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now