Talk

Advanced search

Can I feed the family mouldy carrots?

(11 Posts)
MissShunImpossible Mon 20-Jul-15 17:09:50

So the supermarket delivery arrived, and I didn't see the carrots till after the man had gone. They're mouldy sad

Can I peel them and eat them? If so, seeing as I'm not eating a kilo of carrots tonight, would you freeze the rest? Or not worth the risk?

So annoying angry

Behooven Mon 20-Jul-15 17:11:21

Can you return them? I wouldn't be eating them

MissShunImpossible Mon 20-Jul-15 17:13:53

no not now Behooven, the actual store isn't anywhere near us.

No I guess they're not very appetising!! I was just hoping not to have to throw them. Hate wasting stuff. Even if it wasn't really me wasting them, IYSWIM.

northender Mon 20-Jul-15 17:16:17

I'd try peeling them and then make soup or slice blanch and freeze them. Before you do that, take a pic of them so that you can get a refund without returning them

eddiemairswife Mon 20-Jul-15 17:20:13

Perfectly OK to use providing you cut out the mouldy bits. However complain to the shop with a photo.

AgainBackAndThere Mon 20-Jul-15 17:20:38

You won't need to show evidence if you want a refund, just ring up. Or if it's Ocado you can do it online if it's within about 24 hours.

I wouldn't eat any of the mouldy ones, might consider a completely non mouldy one in the packet if there are any (cooked).

MissShunImpossible Mon 20-Jul-15 17:27:05

Thank you all. I have sent an email of complaint, so they'll hopefully send the money back. Not that it's a huge amount of money, I'm more upset at the prospect of having to throw away food sad

I will have a good check through to see if anything looks salvageable/chop off able.

Many thanks for all your advice! I read a thing the other day about mould spores going all through the food, and therefore chopping bits off wasn't the failsafe option (always my preferred one with fruit and veg). Therefore the question... but you all sound pretty sensible smile

cdtaylornats Mon 20-Jul-15 18:09:04

I would have thought most mould on carrots would be pretty well surface mould, like hard cheese. The mould tends to spread into soft food like brie or goats cheese.

Bunbaker Mon 20-Jul-15 18:13:11

I agree with cdt. I would just cut the bad bits off and use the rest. I also agree that the picker should have noticed that the carrots weren't at their best and shouldn't have picked them.

Contact the store. They need to know, not just because you have been sent food that is past its best, but so that they can give feedback to the pickers and tell them not to pick rubbish.

whois Mon 20-Jul-15 20:41:27

Don't eat those.

Customer services will refund you no issue.

thefinalcurtain Tue 21-Jul-15 02:08:50

You'll get a refund no problem. An old flatmate of mine was once in bed 3 or 4 days after eating mouldy carrots, so I wouldn't, especially as he normally had a cast iron digestion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now