Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So I got myself a nutribullet

(7 Posts)
thelittlebooktroll Sat 18-Jul-15 18:49:50

I am spending a fortune buying juices and smoothies from juice bars around town and thought I might try and make them myself instead to save money. I got myself a nutribullet which cost a small fortune, but it promised me health and happiness and very tasty juices. I have tried several recipes and everything just tastes watery and not that nice. So what am I doing wrong? I don't really want to use shop bought juice as liquid so using water as my liquid but that should be ok right? I am starting to think that the juice bars are adding some secret ingredients and that it might be sugar? hmmI thought the bullet was supposed to be fool proofsad

3mum Sat 18-Jul-15 20:02:57

It's down to experimenting but TBH I found that the recipes suggested in the book which comes with the nutribullet had too much water in them. Try halving it and then gradually working up to what suits you. After a while you just get your eye in, stop measuring and start flinging stuff in, Also make sure you are adding either a banana or some avocado to thicken it each time.

If you make one and it seems a bit watery just add either banana or avocado and that will take care of it.

My children love the berry one from the nutribullet recipe book (spinach, strawberries, blueberries and a banana - we add extra strawberries and halve the water). Tastes just like Innocent smoothies but fresher.

I also sneak in a spoonful of milled flax or milled chia seed for extra nutrition. I have also improvised a cherry and orange one which is strangely delicious. I want to work on a peach and raspberry one next.

We also love this one www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/healthy-meals/green-smoothie-recipes/spinach-smoothie-apple which does use apple juice as a base but when made using a granny smith's apple is just scrumptious (and I am not generally a fan of green smoothies.

I think it is like anything. It takes time to find and customise your favourite recipes, but it is worth it in the end and I love the fact that it is a really easy way to get fruit down my fruit averse DD. Good luck.

thelittlebooktroll Sat 18-Jul-15 20:15:35

Thanks 3mum. So I thought I had to add water up to the max line? I did spinach, frozen berries and banana and it tasted watery but maybe I don't have to add as much water as I thought? I love green juices. I might try your apple one. I happily add apples just not shop bought apple juice.

LovelyFriend Sat 18-Jul-15 22:02:17

I'm still mastering it but I LOVE spinach, corriander leaf, chunk of ginger and pineapple. Could have that every day.

I add freshly ground linseeds and/or hemp seeds - tip grind them separately using the 2nd blade first - makes it finer.

AnyoneForTennis Sat 18-Jul-15 22:17:17

My dad gave his nutribullet. Not even looked at it yet.

Does of deal with whole apples?

LovelyFriend Sun 19-Jul-15 00:06:05

yes but you have to core apples as there is an issue with arsenic in pips if you blitz them.

LovelyFriend Sun 19-Jul-15 00:07:16

or is it cyanide?

regardless, don't blitz and drink the pips

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now