Talk

Advanced search

Ice cream and alcohol

(3 Posts)
kah22 Fri 17-Jul-15 19:38:05

I don't drink alcohol but use wine quite often when cooking. At the moment I'm playing around with ice cream and have read that a little bit of alcohol, in my case vodka, added to the mix will help keep it softish in the freezer

Here's my problem as I don't know the taste of alcohol how much to use before the taste starts to come through? One tablespoon, more, less? It's a starting quantity I'm really after, I can then move it up or down to suit my taste

Here's the recipe I'll be using. The advice is to add the vodka when churning the ice cream

250ml whole milk
A pinch of salt
150g sugar
1 vanilla bean
500ml double cream
6 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

I've already made this without the vodka and it is wonderful

cdtaylornats Fri 17-Jul-15 20:32:48

Why use vodka? Galliano is a vanilla liqueur, its alcholic but has the same flavours as your ice cream.

kah22 Fri 17-Jul-15 22:03:03

cdtaylornats writes: 'Why use vodka? Galliano is a vanilla liqueur, its alcholic but has the same flavours as your ice cream.'

Well I have the vodka and in the process of making my own vanilla extract and as a non drinker I never heard of Galliano - honest!!!

At the moment I have Rum vodka, whiskey, and brandy. Not a bad collection for a non drinker grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now