Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Beet root ideas

(18 Posts)
Amber76 Tue 14-Jul-15 09:08:02

We dug up beet root in the garden yesterday. We also got given a slow cooker at the weekend which I haven't used yet.

Can anyone inspire me with ideas to use the beet root?! Thanks

pinkisthenewpink Tue 14-Jul-15 09:21:16

beetroot and goats cheese salad is lovely.

And Jamie Oliver's roasted beets with balsamic is great too as a side dish camel-csa.org.uk/2009/09/04/recipe-no-10-baked-beetroot-with-balsamic-vinegar/

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Tue 14-Jul-15 09:28:48

Beet balls!

Ingredients:

50g dried porcini mushrooms
2 raw beetroot
Small sweet potato
60g cooked quinoa
medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tin cooked chickpeas
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
oregano
chilli powder
smoked paprika
sage
freshly ground black pepper
whatever herbs/spices you have

Instructions:
Place the mushrooms in a small saucepan and add 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon and rinse them well and set aside. You can keep the liquid for making the mixture wetter or for making
Peel the beetroot and sweet potato and cut them into cubes. Add to the food processor along with the reserved mushrooms, garlic, and onion and pulse to chop coarsely. Add the chickpeas and all remaining ingredients and pulse several times to chop the chickpeas, but do not turn it into a paste. All the individual ingredients should be recognizable.
Add the processor contents to the quinoa and stir well to combine. If the mixture seems dry, add a tablespoon of the reserved mushroom broth. Allow the mixture to rest while you preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Using a tablespoon, measure out a heaping tablespoon of “dough.” Using damp hands, form it into a ball, squeezing lightly to compact it. If the dough seems too dry, add additional broth (this should not be necessary–you don’t want the dough to be too wet). Place the ball on the lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.
Bake until the balls are brown and slightly crisp on the outside, about 35 minutes. (Flattened balls will take a little less time.) Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
If it’s too moist, try adding another teaspoon of ground flaxseed and let it rest for a few minutes before handling.

Destinysdaughter Tue 14-Jul-15 09:30:35

They sound yummy!

Allalonenow Tue 14-Jul-15 09:37:08

Borscht
Beetroot salad with onion and yoghurt dressing
Beetroot and rollmops salad
Beetroot (hot) with chive or spring onion butter, goes very well with duck or pork.

SonceyD0g Tue 14-Jul-15 09:44:51

Beetroot risotto

pinkisthenewpink Tue 14-Jul-15 10:27:21

This slow cooked duck leg recipe would probably be lovely with beets too. I've made this lots (not with beets) but it has a vinegary sweet sour cooking juice that would probably work really well with beets.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Tue 14-Jul-15 17:45:21

Grate it, raw. Mix with grated carrot, chopped up apple and orange. Dress with lemon juice, oil, pepper &salt, if you like. Delicious!

Dancingqueen17 Tue 14-Jul-15 18:24:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FairyPenguin Tue 14-Jul-15 18:27:29

Chocolate beetroot brownies!

FawnDrench Tue 14-Jul-15 18:34:13

Don't forget about cakes!
this Jamie Oliver recipe is absolutely delicious.
I've made it several times now and it's lovely both warm and cold.

Amber76 Wed 15-Jul-15 07:11:39

Thanks very much!

whois Wed 15-Jul-15 14:26:31

Uh, StillNoFuckingEyeDeer that looks AMAZING! Totally making that at the weekend.

My two favorite things are:

1. Beetroot risotto
Cook your 'basic' risotto recipe for 4 people but grate 3 medium raw beets into the mix after you fry the onion. Add juice of half a lemon and a small bunch of finely chopped sill at the end after you have turned off the heat, and about 50g butter, do not add Parmesan cheese. Serve garnished with chipped toasted walnuts and some griddled green veg like baby courgette and tender stem broccoli, or rocket. Would also be nice if you added a little bit of feta or goats cheese to serve.

2. Beetroot tart tatin
This is a HF and is divine.
www.rivercottage.net/recipes/beetroot-tart-tatin

whois Wed 15-Jul-15 14:29:17

Actually StillNoFuckingEyeDeer , DP doesn't eat mushrooms (grrrr!). Can I just leave the mushrooms out or do you think I would need to sub something else in for texture?

PurpleDaisies Wed 15-Jul-15 14:30:48

This chutney is the first recipe I ever made and it is still my favourite. Keeps for months and months.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/68614/spiced-beetroot-and-orange-chutney

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Wed 15-Jul-15 20:27:57

whois you can totally just leave out the mushrooms! I didn't have any the last time I made them and chucked in the sweet potato instead, which is why it's now in the recipe.

whois Wed 15-Jul-15 22:13:22

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer I actually made them tonight and just left out the mushrooms. They were lovely! Thanks for the recipe :-)

I didn't follow your spices exactly - I used a little cumin and fresh dill and served the balls with minty buttery parsley new potatoes and some green veg, and made a little bit of lemony mustard sauce to go with them.

Oh, I didn't have flax seeds so I chucked in some bread crumbs and a beaten egg to help bind (because I thought that was what the flax was doing?).

Winner winner.

teapigs1 Fri 17-Jul-15 23:23:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now