Talk

Advanced search

Main meals cooked with whisky?

(14 Posts)
jessifleur Sat 11-Jul-15 09:37:31

This sounds mad but we've got too much whisky in our house! We get 'presents' from the company we both work for but it's cheapo awful stuff that neither of us drink and we can't give it away fast enough.
I'm after any recipes that would use lots of whisky but would burn off the alcohol (I'm massively pregnant).
I'm hoping mumsnet contains a person with this very specific topic knowledge! hmm

cdtaylornats Sat 11-Jul-15 09:49:26

You can make a glaze for spare ribs - usually it's bourbon but cheap Scotch should do

140g orange marmalade shredless
2 tbsp dark muscavado sugar
150ml whisky
100ml orange juice
5cm piece ginger grated
5 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp white wine vinegar

Put everything in a saucepan and mix, heat and bubble away until reduced by 1/3

Use as a glaze on ribs. I would think it would be okay on pretty well any pork and possibly duck or chicken.

Whisky cakes are v nice. I'd happily eat one for a main meal!

You could make Boston baked beans, and slosh some in there.

Make barbecue sauce?

Send it to me?

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sat 11-Jul-15 09:52:26

Blackberry whisky is delish, and I only ever use cheap ASDA whisky. You make it the same way you make sloe gin.

soup sounds nice.

It'd be lovely glugged into an apple crumble.

bonzo77 Sat 11-Jul-15 09:55:43

Steak with peppercorn sauce. You're meant to make it with brandy but I make it with whisky due to having lots.

MayDivorceBeWithYou Sat 11-Jul-15 09:57:53

I got some weird smoked salmon recipe somewhere. I made it once years ago. Twas nice. I will try and find it.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 11-Jul-15 10:05:07

You can make haggis pie with a whisky cream sauce. Delicious

jessifleur Sat 11-Jul-15 10:16:05

I knew mumsnetters would have ideas! Thank you all, I will get on it today - master chef that I am grin

thenumberseven Sat 11-Jul-15 18:21:57

Pork sirloin in whisky
This recipe is a typical tapa in the southern Spanish city of Seville.

1 pork sirloin
4 garlic cloves
200 ml whisky
200 ml chicken stock (or water and stock cube)
Tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Salt and black pepper
Olive oil for frying meat

Slice meat into medallions. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat a little oil slowly with two whole unpeeled cloves of garlic
Bring up heat and add meat, cook to seal one side then turn and cook the other side. Do this in batches until all slices of meat are done.

Lower heat, mince or chop finely the remaining 2 cloves of garlic and cook gently being careful the garlic doesn't burn. Add whisky and bring up heat to evaporate alcohol. Add stock, butter and lemon juice.
When boiling incorporate the meat and cook five or six minutes (no longer)

If you want a thicker sauce disolve a teaspoon of corn flour in a bit of water and stir into sauce.
Serve with chips or mashed potato

thenumberseven Sat 11-Jul-15 18:26:28

Vanilla ice cream with whisky and chopped walnuts. I love it but of course in it the alcohol doesn't evaporate. Unless you throw it in a pan, let alcohol evaporate and when cold pour over ice cream and top with chopped walnuts.

FawnDrench Mon 13-Jul-15 22:27:27

A good selection of recipes using whisky here

AlpacaMyBags Mon 13-Jul-15 22:37:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now