Talk

Advanced search

In a moment of madness I bought beef cheeks..

(13 Posts)
Behooven Fri 10-Jul-15 11:43:58

now what? Slow cooker maybe? Should I chop it up into chunks like stew first?

Carpaccio Fri 10-Jul-15 13:30:12

This looks pretty decent - I'd serve it with mash instead of the pearl barley risotto:

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/beer-braised-beef-cheek-pearl-barley-risotto-malted-onions-ale-sauce

LittleMiss77 Fri 10-Jul-15 16:07:40

I had a slow cooked beef cheek, lentil and red wine stew served with dauphinose spuds whilst on holiday in France a few years ago - it remains to date, the most amazing meal i have ever eaten

HemanOrSheRa Fri 10-Jul-15 16:12:57

This recipe is amazing www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9646/chinesestyle-braised-beef-onepot. I've made it with beef cheeks and stewing or braising steak.

Allalonenow Fri 10-Jul-15 16:18:43

Oh lovely! I'd leave them in large pieces, and make a Bourguinon style dish with red wine, onions, mushrooms and if you have any some lardons.

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 10-Jul-15 16:20:47

I love the Chinese dish linked above, I've also made it with oxtail.

Behooven Fri 10-Jul-15 18:08:11

Thank you. I bought some ingredients from above when I was out so it's all in the slow cooker now. I remain to be convinced by the beef though - it's not the most appetising bit of meat smile

firesidechat Fri 10-Jul-15 19:15:22

I've cooked one that Heman linked to a couple of times. It's delicious with a really intense flavour.

HemanOrSheRa Fri 10-Jul-15 21:12:27

Let us know how you got on. It does need very long slow cooking but should be deliciously tender. Yum!

Behooven Sat 11-Jul-15 15:11:50

Well I'm impressed. I took it out after 7 hours on low and the meat was falling apart. I ended up shredding the big lumps of beef so I have a big bowl of that - I blended all the cooking liquor as it was chock full of veg and herbs etc, do you think it will work as a sauce with tagliatelle as a change from mash?

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 11-Jul-15 15:13:28

I think that would be delicious

Behooven Sat 11-Jul-15 15:26:22

Good, tonights dinner is sorted smile

HemanOrSheRa Sat 11-Jul-15 16:10:42

Ooh yum. That sounds delicious! Glad you enjoyed the cheeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now