Talk

Advanced search

Hosting a vegan, quite excited but need advice

(11 Posts)
Cherryblossomsinspring Tue 07-Jul-15 10:34:32

Are there different types of vegans? Do I need to check if he eats dairy and eggs or just assume he doesn't?

I was thinking of some kind of tomato based stew, aubergine, olives, capers. Served with rice and a good avocado salad on the side but that sounds totally more boring than I am sure exists for vegans!

Anyone want to share their favourite vegan recipes?

Pedestriana Tue 07-Jul-15 10:49:17

Vegans don't eat dairy or eggs. Or honey. Or anything derived from animals (so you need to check that the vitamins added to cereals for breakfast, or to bread are suitable for consumption).

Are you just providing one meal for them?

The stew sounds nice, but maybe add some pulses - chick peas, kidney beans or lentils?

I'm not vegan but heading that way. There are LOADS of recipes online, but hopefully some wiser folks than I will be along shortly with their own suggestions.

NuggetofPurestGreen Tue 07-Jul-15 11:00:27

How about a curry?
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/681678/aubergine-and-chickpea-curry

NuggetofPurestGreen Tue 07-Jul-15 11:02:46

simpleveganblog.com/vegan-lentil-curry/#

LadyPlumpington Tue 07-Jul-15 11:04:13

He will be delighted that you're going to such an effort!

Swedish glace ice-cream is dairy-free (and yummy). Make it a sundae by melting dark chocolate (maybe with a swish of coconut oil in it to make it runnier) and pouring it over the top, then topping with chopped nuts.

<drools>

Obv check all labels for the presence of milk/eggs/honey!

GobblersKnob Tue 07-Jul-15 11:09:01

This is my current favourite dinner (and what I am having tonight smile) and is close to what you were thinking, works with a mix of courgette and aubergine too. Is a million times nicer than it's simplicity sounds, try to resist the temptation to jazz it up wink it really doesn't need it, I find it need a tiny bit longer or a hotter temp to cook.

If you are serving alcohol Barnivore is a good place to check if it is vegan.

Cherryblossomsinspring Tue 07-Jul-15 11:25:54

Thanks all, its just one meal. So I think I will switch it up a bit and do a briam type thing like Gobblersknobs recipe-

Roast baby tomatoes, garlic, red onion and red peppers. When well roasted, sweet and juicy, mix in sliced potatoes, aubergine, courgettes and basil and black olives. Bake like a gratin. Serve with pea, avocado and cucumber salad.

strawberry and banana vegan sorbet with vegan brownie for desert.

God I miss using at least cheese and dairy to cook!! But I'll manage it.

Cherryblossomsinspring Tue 07-Jul-15 11:31:09

Ive ordered beans and chickpeas in the shop too in case I change my mind. I think I have nearly everything on order you could use for a vegan meal!

We love veg anyway so it will all be used.

Am I right in thinking pasta is not vegan, isn't there egg in it? I see a lot of people suggesting it for vegan guests.....

GobblersKnob Tue 07-Jul-15 11:47:04

No most dried pasta is vegan, though lots of fresh contains egg.

Sounds lovely op smile

NanFlanders Tue 07-Jul-15 12:03:22

Vegan recipes that I have really enjoyed (and I am a dyed in the wool meat-eater!) include gado gado (recipe here, but take out the boiled eggs and fish sauce! - www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/gorgeous-gado-gado/), sweetcorn and peanut curry, falafels, hummus, ackees and red peppers. Made a vegan chocolate cake for my dd's friend once which turned out quite nice (though I say it myself!) - quite a few recipes on the web

paddingtonpear Tue 07-Jul-15 20:38:34

ohsheglows.com has some lovely vegan recipes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now