Talk

Advanced search

Please talk to me about fishcakes

(6 Posts)
TinklyLittleLaugh Mon 06-Jul-15 14:34:51

Ok, so I had some leftover smoked mackerel and cold potatoes in the fridge, both of which I love, but no one else in the family does, (hence the leftovers). I have blitzed them up in my Magimix along with a bit of drooping coriander and the juice of half a lime which were also lurking. Oh yeah, and some black pepper. Formed the mush into shapes and fried in sunflower oil.

The resulte were ok but not spectacular, say 6/10. Quite nice though with a big dollop of homemade rhubarb chutney.

So, I have six left over and I want to freeze them. Ladies in the know, is there anything to be gained by breadcrumbing them, and will I need to defrost before cooking?

Also for future reference, (because I do love a fishcake) how can I move my next attempt at fishcakes into the fantastic level? I'm thinking less potato more fish, possibly frying in butter, but is there anything else I need to be adding? All suggestions gratefully received.

cdtaylornats Mon 06-Jul-15 14:48:55

I would add a bit of horseradish to elevate mackerel ones. Breadcrumbing them adds a bit of texture. I would defrost them if they are thick because by the time the centre defrosts and warms then the outside could be burnt.

Dancingqueen17 Mon 06-Jul-15 16:15:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GoulashSoup Mon 06-Jul-15 21:35:49

Yy to the horseradish. I would add chives or spring onion or sorted leek. I would bread crumb, flour, egg, breadcrumb and fry until golden. I would freeze and go straight into oven/grill from frozen like fish fingers. Defrosting will let the breadcrumbs go soggy.

GoulashSoup Mon 06-Jul-15 21:36:24

Not double breadcrumb, sorry!

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 07-Jul-15 22:47:25

Thank you ladies, we actually scoffed the remainder for supper tonight, (with sweet chilli sauce and fried eggs) so they never actually made it as far as the freezer. Some great ideas for next time though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now