Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got a Chinese clay pot?

(5 Posts)
Phantomquartz Mon 06-Jul-15 13:54:48

I saw an earthenware clay pot in the Chinese supermarket this weekend and bought one as an impulse buy. I'm quite excited to experiment but most of the recipes I've googled are variations on the same chicken / Chinese sausage and rice recipe. I'm going to try it but I'm looking for other suggestions.

I'm currently soaking the pots and looking for ideas of what to cook.

Has anyone got any recipes or tips?

TIA

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 06-Jul-15 14:37:30

No but I'm interested as I'd like one.
There's a recipe for Vietnamese clay pot aubergines which I want to try.

HeadDreamer Mon 06-Jul-15 16:57:14

Did you find lots of clay pot rice recipes? The ones where you cook rice in the pot with food on top? It's usually chicken with shiitake mushrooms, or Chinese sausages and bacon. They are very popular street food on HK.

I would imagine any braise would work in them. I remember a fermented tofu lamb braise from when I was young. But you can cook them in le cruesets too.

(Chinese and don't own clay pots).

HeadDreamer Mon 06-Jul-15 16:58:51

See www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-deal-with-clay-pots-138933

Phantomquartz Mon 06-Jul-15 19:12:41

Thanks for the links, HeadDreamer. I found quite a few recipes on tastespotting but I can't decide which one to try first and I was hoping that someone would be around who could recommend a recipe so I can ask questions....

I think I'm going to start with this recipe from YouTube. My clay pot is currently sitting soaking in the bath. The packaging said to soak it overnight. Although since I don't normally leave water sitting in the bath, my poor stupid cat (who apparently doesn't look before he leaps or learn from prior experience) has already joined the pots in the water at least once today.

IHaveBrilloHair is the Vietnamese aubergine recipe online? I'd love a link to that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now