US recipe - tomato puree?

(11 Posts)
Bobian123 Sun 05-Jul-15 12:45:10

I'm looking at an American recipe that calls for 2 cups of tomato puree. I'm guessing that we know it as something different over here! Is it what we know as passata? Thanks

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 05-Jul-15 12:50:50

You can get tomato purée in the UK. It's a very common ingredient. Usually beside the tinned tomatoes in supermarkets

www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Ocado-Italian-Tomato-Puree-Double-Concentrated/57083011?voucherCode=&parentContainer=&sku=57083011&dnr=y

TheMoa Sun 05-Jul-15 12:53:00

I think they probably do mean passata, if you need 2 cups of the stuff grin.

That's what I'd use anyway.

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 05-Jul-15 12:53:28

What is the recipe, because that sounds like a lot of puree

Bobian123 Sun 05-Jul-15 12:53:37

Sorry Gobbolino, I think I might have been a bit unclear. I know of tomato puree over here but I think it might be something different in the states though as 2 cups is absolutely loads! Normally you'd add a tablespoon or so. So I wonder if tomato puree over there is passata over here. Hope that makes sense!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 05-Jul-15 13:00:43

What are you cooking and what are the other measures of ingredients?

Is it an Italian based sauce? They use a lot of TP.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 05-Jul-15 13:03:21

But.....thinking about watching The Barefoot Contessa.....I think she calls (what we would call) tomato purée, tomato paste

I think best thing to do is google an American supermarket along with tomato purée and see what comes up

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 05-Jul-15 13:06:12

In fact, I had to do it myself rather than fold the washing

This is an American tinned tomato producer and this is what they sell as tomato purée
m.hunts.com/products/tomatoes/tomato-puree

So I think pasatta would be the closest. Or you could just whizz up a tin of tomatoes.

Bobian123 Sun 05-Jul-15 13:06:18

Oops cross posted! Yes I think it might be passata. Def not going to stick 2 cups of puree into anything grin

Bobian123 Sun 05-Jul-15 13:10:10

Thanks for your help Gobbolino!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 05-Jul-15 13:12:01

No problem. I'll be on stand by for any other googling emergencies rather than the washing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now