Talk

Advanced search

Perfect poshish bbq for 17?!

(12 Posts)
Balacqua Wed 01-Jul-15 09:11:53

Help needed please! I am not a very good cook and I'd like to do a special bbq - I've trawled the threads here but I've got myself all confuses - could anyone recommend me some recipes? I was thinking a side of fish, some lamb kebabs, some halloumi kebabs and a potato salad, tabbouleh and pasta salad- sound OK? Any ideas how to make it easy/.delicious? Tia!

Archer26 Wed 01-Jul-15 09:17:57

Asda do some lovely mackerel on the fish counter that comes ready to barbecue. They have different flavours such as sweet chilli and s lemony one and they are so easy to do. I love them and I'm neither a fish or a bbq fan! Morrisons do something similar.

Also how about some big bowls of flavoured rice. This is a good filler and s good side for most meats.

senua Wed 01-Jul-15 09:24:05

Is that a barbecue for seventeen people? That's a lot - do you have a huge BBQ?

I'd be tempted to do some stuff that you can cook in the kitchen and just finish off on the BBQ.

Kvetch15 Wed 01-Jul-15 09:25:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Balacqua Wed 01-Jul-15 10:52:49

Haha great! Any recipe recommendations for the middle eastern vibe I darent go off piste- just looking at Jamie's bbq recipe for meat and marinade which is looking good but no idea for the salads.
Sausage and burgers for the kids is OK isn't it

Magicalmrmistofeles Wed 01-Jul-15 12:25:24

Butterflied leg of lamb? I did a recipient from the ottolenghi book - amazing. I had 20 and did 2 legs and had loads leftover, with wraps, yogurt and a salad with tahini dressing.

So much easier than fannying about with a gazillion burgers / sausages / kebabs

Magicalmrmistofeles Wed 01-Jul-15 12:26:21

Oops, sent too soon.

I think you might need a kettle BBQ to do it properly. Also works out cheaper which is always good.

Hoppinggreen Wed 01-Jul-15 15:39:43

I was going to suggest a butter field leg of lamb too. I cook it in the first Ben on a low heat slowly and then finish on the BBQ. Do roasted veg, couscous salad, tomato salad etc.
Fir a " starter" wrap some Camemberts in foil and pop on BBQ for 20 mins, serve with carrot sticks and breadsticks

Highlove Wed 01-Jul-15 19:14:00

For that many, I'd also do a main thing rather than lots of stuff. This Jamie recipe: www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24751 is fab. Ignore the roast veg and just do the lamb in the marinade, cook in the oven and finish on the BBQ - it's really delicious done like that and very forgiving if you're not a confident cook. I'd probably do three big butterflied legs for that many - if you've got an Asian supermarket nearby they tend to sell bigger joints and will be cheaper. I'd just do that, maybe with with some veggie kebabs on the BBQ but mainly with a selection of interesting sides - some couscous with preserved lemons and coriander would be good. Tomato and mozzarella salad. Some sort of chickpea salad maybe?

Balacqua Thu 02-Jul-15 11:19:04

Thanks all! Great ideas flowers

whois Thu 02-Jul-15 18:14:55

I would 100% do big trays of harrisa spiced chicken or something in the oven and then just do the kebabs on the bbq. 17 people is a lot!

BrassicaBabe Thu 09-Jul-15 21:23:40

Oh oh. Def Jamie Oilver's chicken shwarma!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now