Talk

Advanced search

Mum I'm Starving! What to feed a hollow legged 9 year old?

(31 Posts)
NightLark Mon 29-Jun-15 17:12:02

My 9 year old DS is always hungry. He's very slim, quite sporty and starving 10 minutes after dinner. Any suggestions for healthy, filling snacks gratefully received before he develops a life long dependence on crisps and breakfast cereal...

SomewhereovertheRainbow02 Mon 29-Jun-15 17:22:46

Oooh I'll watch this with interest!
My DD 9 in November is forever hungry. I cant fill her!
She is tall and slim and would live off crisps and biscuits if i let her!

Dancingqueen17 Mon 29-Jun-15 17:41:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MilkRunningOutAgain Mon 29-Jun-15 19:44:58

Scones ( savoury or sweet), buns, massive pots of full fat yogurt with fruit or honey, flapjacks, sandwiches. And drink milk, it's very good after sport at rehydrating and providing energy. And get your DS to make his own and clear up the mess too! I didn't do this and created a rod for my own back, though I have now managed to make him a little more self sufficient.

My DS is hollow legged too.

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Mon 29-Jun-15 21:30:42

Bread pudding? My 2 love it.

NightLark Mon 29-Jun-15 22:55:51

Good thoughts, thanks - carbs, protein...

Flapjacks I had thought of (but am too rushed to cook, normally - 3 kids and I work 4 days a week).

But he's old enough to make his own sandwiches, maybe I just need to reorganise some cupboard space so he can choose the bits (no, not the chocolate spread again...).

Sausages - you should see how many he can go through!! He'd be behind that choice though!

Bread pudding? Is that like bread and butter pudding, or different?

Cheers (and sympathy to my fellow hollow-legged owners on their shopping bills, which probably look like mine :0)

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Wed 01-Jul-15 20:36:43

Bread pudding is different to bread and butter pudding. I use an economy loaf (or crusts collected from the freezer), baking fat (stork or lard traditionally) sugar, mixed spice and dried mixed fruit. You can also chuck in the dregs of a jar of jam or marmalade. Follow roughly Nigella Lawson's recipe for quantity but dont soak the bread in milk. Use water - it's cheaper. A whole loaf will do a roasting tin. I think you need it to be quite dark, with lots of spice to be extra tasty. Squidge the ingredients together and let it stand so the fruit swells. Can be eaten hot or cold. I like it tepid with extra brown sugar on the top.

WaltJunior Wed 08-Jul-15 20:04:45

Oo good thread. I've got a hollow legged crisp addicted 10yo ds! Banana pancakes: 1 banana 1 egg bit of flour
Rye bread
Tin of baked beans
Glass of milk
I just ordered a microwave crisp maker from Amazon hoping he might make his own & therefore slow down the shovelling
Looking for more ideas..

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 09-Jul-15 18:41:53

Cheese and biscuits, hot chocolate, microwave popcorn and cheese on toast all seem to go down well with ours. They also like milkshakes made with full fat milk, banana and whatever fruit we've got in.

Timetoask Thu 09-Jul-15 18:48:21

I've got two hungry young boys! I feel your pain. This is what I offer: either:
-Natural (white) yogurt with high fiber muesli (not the muesli with lots of sugar though, I guy one from holland&b
- one banana
-one Apple/nectarine/orange or similar
- a piece of brown toast with marmite/cream cheese/etc
- I also buy baby bells cheese which work well and have a nice size which doesn't allow overeating

WaltJunior Thu 09-Jul-15 19:54:33

Also smoothies with oats blitzed in are very filling

Seriouslyffs Thu 09-Jul-15 20:06:53

Get a toastie machine! Should be compulsory for every family. Then he can make himself cheese toastie, cheese and ham, egg- like boiled egg and soldiers.
And yy to bread pudding- very cheap and filling.

CSLewis Sun 12-Jul-15 09:22:30

BUMP!

CSLewis Sun 12-Jul-15 09:30:46

I have a hollow-legged 8.5 yo ds, who is driving me MAD with near-constant declarations of starvation.

My problem is the ridiculously limited range of foods he will eat. He doesn't like cheese, eggs, tuna (any fish), humous (or any pulses), even potatoes I have to force down him confused

This thread reminded me of porridge, which he likes a lot for a certain length of time, but then tends to 'go off it' again.

Other than that, he just ends up snacking on cereal (less sugary ones like shreddies), endless bread (at least it's home-made mostly wholemeal) or fruit (apples, bananas, oranges or kiwis, which he quickly gets bored of and says they don't fill him up anyway).

I also always turn to bread for a snack, and I know that we should both be eating protein rather than carbs to fill us up - but he doesn't like most of the cheap-ish quick protein types, and I have neither the time nor the budget to be making endless bacon sarnies (tho he'd love them!)

Any ideas..?

CSLewis Sun 12-Jul-15 09:34:27

I'll definitely try the banana pancakes too - they sound delicious.

JessiePinkMan Sun 12-Jul-15 09:59:54

Yes do - they are delish & very filling. I have a mini processor that goes on my stick blender, 1 banana, 1 egg and tb of flour blended together and cooked like a normal pancake. Can add cinnamon/cocoa etc for variety

CSLewis Sun 12-Jul-15 10:02:10

Great, thanks! Will those quantities make enough for 1 or 2 hungry children..?

Dancingqueen17 Sun 12-Jul-15 20:15:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chippednailvarnish Sun 12-Jul-15 20:17:12

I'd second porridge and cheese and crackers always goes down well.

JessiePinkMan Sun 12-Jul-15 20:19:58

Well 1 hungry 10 yr old!

MrsPnut Sun 12-Jul-15 20:20:43

We have a cake on the go every week, I tend to make something fairly plain and it keeps well.

She also has apple and a piece of cheese many days after school to keep her going until dinner time. We have boiled eggs in the fridge as a snack food and a piece of salami with a bit for soft cheese in it rolled up.
She usually has eggs for breakfast too to keep her going until lunchtime but she often has a second breakfast from kids club too.

StrumpersPlunkett Sun 12-Jul-15 20:25:18

We have various snack options for the never fill able 11 year old
In the door of the fridge there are yoghurts mini cheese things and mini meat things (lazy and expensive I know)
Fruit always goes down well
Then in the snack cupboard individual portioned biscuits cakes and crisps individual because otherwise he would take 6 biscuits and swear it was only 1
Then we always have bread or crumpets available. Or cereals with milk.
Few I always get him to have s big drink before a snack as I really feel much of it is thirst not hunger.

Takver Sun 12-Jul-15 20:26:53

Oatcakes spread with peanut butter do the trick in this house - personally I think it's a revolting concept, but dd eats them happily enough, and they're very filling.

drinkscabinet Sun 12-Jul-15 20:36:57

DD1 is only 7 but hollow legged. She ate 3 baked potatoes as a 'snack' at her after school club last week then came home and had seconds of tea. Luckily she's not a fussy eater.

Cheese on oatcakes, peanut butter on corn thins, popcorn, nuts, the above baked potatoes, omelettes are all good. I'm not looking forward to the food bills when we have teenagers...

CSLewis Sun 12-Jul-15 20:43:18

Unfortunately he won't eat nuts, or peanut butter, or cheese! He'll eat unlimited quantities of biscuits and cakes but I don't buy them, precisely for this reason.

I used to make an industrial-sized batch of banana bread, should probably start doing that again.

I'd just like him to fill up on something healthy rather than endless bread.

Thanks for your efforts, I'm well aware he's a tough case confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now