Talk

Advanced search

Is there an acceptable way to make gravy without having meat juices?

(15 Posts)
ShimmeringCobalt Sun 28-Jun-15 10:32:08

If you have a recipe, I'd love it.

Without meat juice my gravy is disgusting and watery, awful stuff.

Dc love mashed potatoes with sausages, carrots etc but we need a bit of decent gravy.

I usually just end up buying some fresh stuff but it's v £££

Any tips?

WiIdfire Sun 28-Jun-15 10:35:55

Bisto.

Love it. Easy.

LordEmsworth Sun 28-Jun-15 10:46:13

Anna Jones has a fab recipe for roasted veg gravy - it is a bit of a faff to make gravy separately but freezes well and is yummy

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 28-Jun-15 11:03:57

Sauté two sliced onions in a pan with a knob of butter on a low heat for about 10 mins until they go really soft and caramelised. Make some stock - I use knorr, add it to the onions and simmer it for a bit then thicken with corn flour or thickening granules.

CordeliaFoxx Sun 28-Jun-15 11:05:41

Bisto Best, it's lovely, and not greasy like a lot of gravy. Even my DS who doesn't like gravy likes it.

Toffeelatteplease Sun 28-Jun-15 11:09:26

Another vote for bistro.

ceeveebee Sun 28-Jun-15 11:34:30

I either do the same as DameDiazepam, or I often make extra gravy when doing a roast and freeze in portions

annielostit Sun 28-Jun-15 14:43:10

1 knorr beef stock pot 25g flour mix with a little cold water, stir in enough hot vegetable/potato water, bring to boil till favoured consistency.
Or use same recipe with knorr gravy pot.

babybat Sun 28-Jun-15 17:26:07

Bisto do roast onion flavour gravy granules that are pretty good for instant gravy, even more so if you sauté an onion then stir it in.

Highlove Sun 28-Jun-15 22:21:44

Check out Delia's roast onion gravy. (Google it.) But of a faff for a weeknight maybe but a batch would freeze.

mousmous Sun 28-Jun-15 22:26:19

finely dice and onion.
into a pan with butter/oil and balsamico vinegar (just to cover the onion) cook until the vinegar has gone sticky.
add carrots, celery, herbs to taste.and fry some more. add water, bring to boil. strain through sieve. season.
tastes great and it less of a faff than it sounds

Hassled Sun 28-Jun-15 22:26:52

I've been known to caramelise the hell out of some onions, loads of onions, and then use my stock of choice (always that Swiss Marigold Bouillon powder - nothing else comes close), a bit of mustard and a bit of white wine. Puree to thicken.

SummerSazz Sun 28-Jun-15 22:30:11

Fry some sliced onions in butter, add a tablespoon of plain flour, boiling water and a teaspoon or two of Marmite. Delicious with sausages smile

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 29-Jun-15 11:24:07

I'm always confused by that marigold stock, it tastes like dishwater to megrin

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Mon 29-Jun-15 11:27:41

Caramelise some onions in butter, add flour, red wine and beef stock. That's what I do when making sausages and mash for guests (so can't serve bisto!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now