Talk

Advanced search

Dinner tonight - using up taco mince.

(5 Posts)
whiteiris Sat 27-Jun-15 04:02:57

Well not many of you in the UK will be up before it's time for me to start preparing dinner here in Australia, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I want to use up some leftover taco mince for dinner tonight. It's just minced beef with taco powder seasoning, onion and tomato paste.

I'm thinking of chucking it in a saucepan with a chopped up tomato and some grated carrot, then mixing through some cooked pasta, putting it all in a baking dish and topping with cheese then baking in oven.

Does this sound workable, and are there any ideas to make it better?

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 27-Jun-15 04:24:50

I've used taco meat with passata or tinned tomatoes to make bolognaise, guess y could add gravy and veggies for shepherds pie too. I'm in Texas, don't tell anyone I ever adulterate leftover taco meat, people take tacos very seriously here....

whiteiris Sat 27-Jun-15 05:08:12

Haha thank you smile

Out2pasture Sat 27-Jun-15 05:56:41

Recently used mine up by adding in coarsely chopped red and orange peppers and a fennel bulb that was previously chopped and browned. the meal was very well received. sprinkled with cheddar cheese on top. If you have access to the small sweet peppers, I stuff them with the taco mix, again grated cheese on top, place the peppers upright in a deep soup bowl with a little water and pop them into the microwave until the peppers are cooked and cheese melted (so a low setting for a slightly longer period). serve with rice that is cooked with anaise seeds

whiteiris Sat 27-Jun-15 10:46:19

Thanks for the ideas. I ended up doing it as planned with cauliflower chopped in as well. It tasted decent enough for a use-up-scraps meal. The toddler loved it and had thirds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now