Talk

Advanced search

American buffet suggestion

(10 Posts)
ohhello Fri 26-Jun-15 10:03:29

Hi,
We are invited to a July 4 party, I need inspiration for a couple of dishes to take. Needs to be serve cold and shareable, and something that looks a bit impressive without costing the earth, American themed. Eek, any ideas?

PolterGoose Fri 26-Jun-15 10:49:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LikeSilver Fri 26-Jun-15 10:51:49

Jamie Oliver's 'The Best BBQ Chicken' recipe is yummy cold. His chocolate brownies are pretty awesome too. The recipes are on the JO website.

ohhello Fri 26-Jun-15 11:23:21

Oooh and savoury!

CMOTDibbler Fri 26-Jun-15 11:24:59

How about a 7 layer dip? Loads of recipes on Pintrest, and a v american thing

Chimchar Fri 26-Jun-15 11:28:47

chicken wings?
was going to say Pinterest too. I just searched for "july 4 food" there and loads of ideas came up. I saw a great American flag made of fruit skewers...red was raspberries, white was marshmallows, blue was blueberries. Dead easy and would look impressive!

ohhello Fri 26-Jun-15 11:30:33

Ah brilliant idea!!

Clairejessica123 Fri 26-Jun-15 13:24:19

My husbands American and whenever we are with his family dips go down well with raw veggies and crisps.

Blondie1984 Sat 27-Jun-15 00:13:12

Devilled eggs?

whimsicalname Sun 28-Jun-15 23:56:00

We live in the states. The 4th July party we go to each year is hotdogs served from stars and stripes paper plates, which we eat indoors in a formal dining room at a dining table with damask table cloth. With no cutlery. After 3 years here it remains one of the oddest events of the year.

A really cool thing I've seen with friends though is a blueberry / raspberry cheesecake that you make in a rectangular tray, and do as an America flag with blueberries for the stars and raspberries in stripes for the stripes. Who doesn't like cheesecake?

Chicken wings and layered dips are also strong contenders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now