Talk

Advanced search

What to put in a pre cooked pastry shell?

(10 Posts)
ObiWanCannoli Mon 22-Jun-15 11:14:53

Ok, I bought a pastry shell to do quiche so I bought an unsweetened one. I'm now having visitors coming tomorrow and haven't much time to prepare treats to serve with coffee.

So what sweet sliceable pie can I make with this cooked pie shell? I was thinking a sugar pie or a buttermilk pie but I'm certain I can't cook it in a pre cooked shell. Any ideas greatly appreciated. TIA

FauxFox Mon 22-Jun-15 11:16:38

Chocolate tart? Use this filling in the shell? www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4629/nocook-chocolate-tart-

ObiWanCannoli Mon 22-Jun-15 11:18:24

Brilliant recipe but I've no chocolate would it work with coco powder?

Dancingqueen17 Mon 22-Jun-15 13:41:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cdtaylornats Mon 22-Jun-15 19:52:38

Something with cheese

sashh Tue 23-Jun-15 09:49:23

Custard tart? Bakewell pudding?

Costacoffeeplease Tue 23-Jun-15 09:57:20

Lemon tart?

MadAngryGnome Tue 23-Jun-15 10:19:20

I don't see why you can't still do a buttermilk pie in a prebaked shell. We'd call it a chess pie and use this for the filling:

2 cups sugar
1⁄2 cup butter
4 - 5 rounded tablespoons flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix together, put in pie shell and bake at 175C for 45-50mins. Pie should be browned on top and jiggle slightly in the centre when done.

ObiWanCannoli Tue 23-Jun-15 19:50:00

Thank you ended up making a mix of bakewell, buttermilk and pecan pie and par cooked the filling on the stove top first. It worked beautifully.

Sadly though as it came from my head I will probably never be able to recreate it.

Guests loved it. Just enough left for tea.

574ejones Tue 23-Jun-15 21:18:13

You can make a fruit tart really easily by buying a pack of creme patissiere and topping it with strawberries or raspberries. You could even glaze it by brushing over some warmed jam. It will look really impressive and take you about give minutes to prepare!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now