Talk

Advanced search

Recipes with rice please

(20 Posts)
Indecisivejo Sun 21-Jun-15 14:51:44

Hi,
Has anyone got any recipes for something tasty with rice?? Needs to be relatively easy and quick. I already do a nice curry and chilli so need something different hmm

WellErrr Sun 21-Jun-15 14:53:14

Kedgeree?
Risotto?
Rice with a tin of tomatoes, tuna, all the veg in the fridge and then served in wraps with cheese?

Marmite27 Sun 21-Jun-15 14:55:36

I love jambalaya, use pre cooked chicken (usually leftovers) which makes it quicker to cook than using raw.

My favourite is actually adapted from a camping recipe book, so is mostly store cupboard ingredients, plus chicken, chorizo and a bit of veg.

It does include frozen peas though, which I've never managed to work out as a camping essential, but I suppose they come in tins too!

OhHolyFuck Sun 21-Jun-15 14:56:02

Stragonoff?

Indecisivejo Sun 21-Jun-15 14:59:29

My other half turns nose up to all of these shock
Thank u though!

bakingaddict Sun 21-Jun-15 15:14:15

Chinese style Oyster chicken. Get some chicken pieces and coat and marinate the chicken for about 30 mins in the sauce. Then heat a bit of sesame oil in the pan with some crushed ginger and mix everything together. Add a couple of dashes of soy sauce, water to cover the chicken and sherry or rice wine vinegar and cook till the stock is reduced and the chicken is tender (about 30-45 minutes) Serve with pak/bok choi

addictedtosugar Sun 21-Jun-15 15:34:19

Egg fried rice

Planesmistakenforstars Sun 21-Jun-15 15:52:18

Spanakorizo - a Greek rice dish with lemon and spinach in it. I have it with lamb chops.

There's a Middle Eastern pilaf dish which I love, with lamb and carrots.

Both of those take about half an hour, including prep. I'll look up and post recipes if either of those sound good

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 21-Jun-15 15:54:25

dirty rice

Indecisivejo Sun 21-Jun-15 16:02:51

Planesmistakenforstars yes please if u don't mind grin

SweetAndFullOfGrace Sun 21-Jun-15 16:06:23

Hainan chicken rice. Yum!

Planesmistakenforstars Sun 21-Jun-15 16:30:51

Spanakorizo (serves 4 as a side)
1 leek, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
900g spinach
3 tbsp olive oil
175g rice
350ml chicken stock
1 tsp cumin (optional)
Juice from 1 lemon
salt & pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a saucepan or heavy frying pan (the pan must have a lid.) Fry the leeks for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cumin and fry for another 5 minutes. Add the rice and the spinach and stir well. Add the stock and give it another good stir, put the lid on, then leave on a low simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper if you like. If the liquid has absorbed but the rice is still a bit hard at this stage, add a bit of hot water, cover and leave for another 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice just before serving.

Planesmistakenforstars Sun 21-Jun-15 16:31:02

Spiced Lamb & Carrot Pilaf (serves 4)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
500g diced lamb
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 medium carrots, grated
350g rice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2tsp ground allspice
1 litre chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a saucepan or heavy frying pan (the pan must have a lid.) Cook the onion until soft , about 5 minutes. Fry the garlic for another 2 minutes. Add the lamb, carrots, cinnamon and allspice, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add the rice, give it a good stir and then add the stock and stir again. Cover and cook on a low simmer for 15 minutes, until the liquid has absorbed and the rice is tender (add some more water and cook for another 5 minutes if it's not ready.) I love this served with a dollop of plain yoghurt.

There are lots of similar central Asian/middle eastern pilafs which use mince beef, so you could use that instead if you'd prefer.

Indecisivejo Sun 21-Jun-15 16:57:48

Thank you so much!

What is hainan chicken rice??

SenecaFalls Sun 21-Jun-15 17:07:12

Country Captain chicken is one of my favorite rice dishes. It's a southern US low country (Charleston-Savannah) dish. There are some recipes that are more complicated, but here is a faster one:

www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/30-minute-southern-classic-country-captain-chicken-recipe.html

Halfling Sun 21-Jun-15 17:10:24

Chicken Pilaf www.waitrose.com/home/tv/indian/anjum-anand-s-easychickenpilaf.html

SweetAndFullOfGrace Sun 21-Jun-15 19:45:48

Hainan chicken rice - it's comfort food smile

Jenni2legs Sun 21-Jun-15 20:22:56

I make this about once a fortnight, as my whole family loves it;

chelseamamma.co.uk/2012/02/tasty-thursday-sausage-jambalaya/

Indecisivejo Sun 21-Jun-15 22:16:09

Hainan chicken rice seems way complicated and don't even know some of those ingredients lol, defo not the quick easy weekday meal I'm looking for (we eat once little
ones in bed so am cooking around 7pm Zzzzz)
Jenni2legs that sounds really good will definitely try that one soon!
Thanks all.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Sun 21-Jun-15 22:26:51

Oh no it's very straightforward, there are lots of variations. I don't use pandan leaves (you can't get them here anyway) and scallion is spring onion. There is a faster way if you have a rice cooker

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now