Talk

Advanced search

Indian Cooking Advice

(12 Posts)
Maranello4 Tue 16-Jun-15 21:32:35

Hi there! I'm looking for recommendations for Indian cooking please - so either books or short courses in the central London/West Kent area. I'm okay with some of the basics but would like to be able to do breads and vegetable dishes at a better standard. Thank you x

applecatchers36 Tue 16-Jun-15 21:39:10

I find Madhur Jaffery's quick and easy Indian cookery book useful has nice vegetarian recipes, haven't tried the breads myself yet.

poppycat04 Tue 16-Jun-15 21:42:36

Best book I've ever found is "cooking like mummy gee". No longer in print I think but found it on amazon in their market place. It's the real deal.

couldntbebothered Tue 16-Jun-15 21:50:46

I love "made in India"; the madhur jaffrey book mentioned, and another by her called "illustrated Indian cookery" which has plenty of veg and bread recipes.

Selks Tue 16-Jun-15 21:54:02

'Made in India' by Meera Sodha is great.

Maranello4 Tue 16-Jun-15 22:15:26

Cooking like mummyji? Great, will have a look smile

Hoppinggreen Wed 17-Jun-15 14:56:34

Another vote for cooking like mummy, it's what people eat at home rather than in restaurants

FurryDogMother Wed 17-Jun-15 15:02:34

It depends on whether you're looking for authentic Indian food, or British Indian Restaurant (BIR) food. If the latter, there are a couple of e-books on Amazon that will give you what you need:

Volume 1
Volume 2

OldBeanbagz Wed 17-Jun-15 20:12:37

Another vote for Cooking Like Mummyji. It the closest i can get to my dad's home cooked food.

I also LOVE Made in India. I have large batches of the samosas in my freezer although i do use my own pastry recipe rather than the filo pastry they recommend (i need to make them GF).

PyjamasLlamas Wed 17-Jun-15 20:30:14

Indian Delights by Zuleikha Mayat. It's a South African Indian cookbook from the 60's with the most authentic Gujjrati Indian food. Every single Asian household in the UK in the 70's/80's had a copy. It's like a cooking bible. They get passed down too so now I have my mums copy.
It was out of print but I've checked and it's on amazon

mistymeanour Fri 19-Jun-15 17:58:24

Made in India is great

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 25-Jun-15 17:18:58

I have a really old Madhur Jaffrey book called simply Indian Cooking which is great on details; for example the exact degree to which you need to brown your onions for the best results. Also has some lovely Anglo Indian recipes like mulligatawny soup.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now