Talk

Advanced search

Despite making 3 meals a day forever......

(9 Posts)
olbas Mon 15-Jun-15 15:03:55

I cannot for the life of me put together a menu for Saturday. I can cook/bake/follow recipes etc but need some ideas for a 3 course dinner. No one is veggie/vegan/GF/wheat free/allergic to nuts or anything. One doesn't like anything too spicy but will try it. I really want to get this right, I haven't had a "friend" for years and want them to feel well fed and welcome <desperate blush> Can anyone suggest anything please.

PleaseGetOffTheTableDarling Mon 15-Jun-15 15:10:21

I would go for things where the majority of your work can be done well in advance, so that you are more available to play host. What about something like smoked mackerel pate to start, pork fillet with ratatouille and green salad, then an Eton Mess type dessert? Summery and not too much slaving for you. Good luck with your evening - I am sure your guests are there because they want to spend time with you, not judge your cooking!

momb Mon 15-Jun-15 15:17:51

formal or informal?
Kids or an adult affair?
lunch or dinner?

olbas Mon 15-Jun-15 15:22:59

PleaseGetOffTheTableDarling That sounds lovely grin

momb Adults only, dinner, between the two!

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 15-Jun-15 16:37:54

Starter - tomato, mozzarella, basil salad.
Main- Salmon coulibiac with watercress and a lemony dressing.
Cheese course
Dessert - creme brulee with cherries.

frenchfancy Tue 16-Jun-15 18:47:57

Starter - paté
main - stuffed pork filet with boulangere potatoes
dessert - raspberry cheesecake

agoodbook Tue 16-Jun-15 19:09:26

Starter - a fish pate - smoked mackerel or smoked salmon
Main - slow cooked lamb ( Nigella recipe - lovely!) with new potatoes and green beans
Dessert - pannacotta with a red berry compote
Cheese board if you want o push boat out!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 16-Jun-15 19:16:35

You sound anxious that everything goes right so pre-cooking is absolutely your friend here! A pate type starter is delicious and smoked mackerel in particular is light and fresh. Then some type of slow-cooked something is another great idea, or I often do a roast chicken for guests. Couldn't be easier and everyone loves the smell.

Then some cheese, or just some good chocolate, or Eton Mess. Get everything ready in separate bowls then mix together at the last minute tbough, or the meringue goes soft.

storminabuttercup Tue 16-Jun-15 19:54:04

I'm usually a good cook but my mind goes blank when doing a three course meal. I usually pick a theme. Some thing I've done for casual dinner with friends are

American
Sticky chicken wings
Home made burgers with the trimmings
New York cheesecake

Italian
Bruschetta
Spag Bol/ lasagne/ gnocchi
Lemon tiramisu

Indian
Bought starters
Homemade curry with home made naan and those pouches of rice
Was stuck on the pud on this one so did fruit salad and Ice cream

All sounds boring but it's easy and we all know food is better when you haven't cooked it so your new friend will enjoy it regardless!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now