Talk

Advanced search

can anyone name this orange fruit that tastes a bit like a yellow plum?

(17 Posts)
thisparentinggig Sat 13-Jun-15 09:54:46

It's a bit battered (bought cheaply in the market) hence the brown spots. Any ideas?

You can see the stone/seed is totally smooth, no fibres sticking out, unlike apricots/plums/peaches. Actually 2 stones/seeds in some fruit, and sometimes just one. Stone/seed has a flatter side and a convex side.

The skin peels off easily in large swathes. The inner pithy part around the stone/seed also peels off, less easily though.

Nightboattocairo Sat 13-Jun-15 09:56:24

It looks like a Sharon Fruit or Persimmon

sashh Sat 13-Jun-15 10:46:36

Loquat AKA nísperos?

BikeRunSki Sat 13-Jun-15 10:47:34

Sharon fruit

AgentProvocateur Sat 13-Jun-15 10:49:51

Sharon fruit don't have stones.

Izlet Sat 13-Jun-15 10:51:02

It's a nespola in Italian, so what Sashh said. Persimmons/Sharon fruit don't have big stones. I had no idea you could get loquats/nespole in the uk!

sashh Sat 13-Jun-15 10:54:28

Izlet

We have an Asian supermarket near by, I mean supermarket not corner shop calling itself one. I frequently see things there I can't identify. If you have one near try them out.

Izlet Sat 13-Jun-15 11:07:54

They sell them in Asian supermarkets? I didn't think they were sold much outside the Med. they are certainly waning in popularity in Italy and tend to get bought by older people, like my mum. Probably because they're always marked and bruised and not pretty (and don't really taste of much). I must admit I'm not a fan myself.

urbinosparrot Sat 13-Jun-15 11:38:46

I didn't know they were called loquat, I've always known them as "medlar". They are only good when they look a bit battered - the brown spots are a sign that they are ripe. My friend has a massive tree in her garden.

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Sat 13-Jun-15 21:13:29

A true medlar will have the non stalk end that looks like a dogs arse, I once heard it described on a tv cookery show.
My sister gave me one of those thingies pictured above. It had a slightly perfumed flavour with a tomato texture. Pips like a lychee. Wont bother with those again.

Sgtmajormummy Sat 13-Jun-15 21:33:09

Medlar (nespola in Italian, never had one in UK). More stone and skin than fruit, but absolutely delicious. One of my favourites!

thisparentinggig Sun 12-Jul-15 13:02:42

Does the medlar tree grow in the UK ever or is urbinosparrot's friend's garden somewhere even hotter/sunnier?

I love the cultural richness on this board!

TheSpottedZebra Sun 12-Jul-15 18:28:23

It's not what you'd call a medlar in the UK. Here, it'd be known as a loquat or a Chinese or Japanese plum. I think that the word nespera/nespola is (also) used for our (Common) Medlar in some places. Confusingly.

TheSpottedZebra Sun 12-Jul-15 18:30:21

This is a medlar. As MERLY says, it has a dog's arse end.

Also, to eat it, you have it let it, er rot a bit. It's called bletting. I have a medlar tree.

TheSpottedZebra Sun 12-Jul-15 18:31:05

Dog's arses.

SingingBear Sun 12-Jul-15 18:34:21

Yes they do grow here - my grandmother had a medlar tree in her garden (SE England).

JaWellNoFine Sun 12-Jul-15 18:39:34

It's a loquat. Had a tree growing up in SA. Not the tastiest fruit and rather dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now