Talk

Advanced search

Help needed. Diabetic pudding ideas?!

(18 Posts)
Littlemessymiss Fri 12-Jun-15 20:47:34

Hello ladies. Need help as DH has just invited an old family friend for supper who has diabetes.
Last time I made a batch of low G.I. Biscotti. Sadly this was swilled down with half a bottle of pudding wine that almost polished him off. (Not my fault!)
Any ideas? I am pretty competent in the kitchen...
I have some necatrines from DD's fruit bowl and a jar of sweetner knocking about.

Smellyoulateralligator Fri 12-Jun-15 21:02:08

What about strawberries and cream? You can get diabetic ice cream.
Maybe a fruit crumble made with sweetener and cream. Is he type 1 or 2?

Smellyoulateralligator Fri 12-Jun-15 21:06:19

The diabetes UK website has some pudding recipes

Littlemessymiss Fri 12-Jun-15 21:40:38

Thanks for the input. Had a look on diabetes UK earlier today but compared to my usual sources it didn't fill me with much inspiration.
As for the type- I don't know. He is low BiM, but this is a recent thing.
I recon I will griddle the necatrines and make some sort of granola to go with it?!
grin

Wotsup Fri 12-Jun-15 21:45:53

Great idea Little... Anything with oats and not too much sugar is tends to be OK. All diabetics don't react to foods the same. Some people are more sensitive to some foods than other people...if that makes sense. Have a look at the FB site Diabetes and Slimming World UK. Ask what they would suggest. They're friendly. smile

BIWI Fri 12-Jun-15 21:46:41

Well for a start, you don't have to serve a pudding. If he's diabetic, then he shouldn't be eating sweet stuff anyway!

What about a cheeseboard, served with celery rather than biscuits?

If you have to serve a pudding, you could always do berries (which are the lowest carb fruits) with double cream, whisked up with some vanilla essence.

Wotsup Fri 12-Jun-15 21:51:15

Yes you CAN eat sweet food BIWI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where do you get your information from?

Forgive me but are berries sweet...they were the last time I ate them.

Purpleball Fri 12-Jun-15 21:52:26

Eaton mess with less meringue?
Avoid white flour and sugar where possible
Fruit/cheese is good

Diabetics can eat dessert they just need to adjust for it. If they are on insulin this is easier

lilacblossomtime Fri 12-Jun-15 21:58:26

Nowadays most diabetics are advised to just follow general healthy eating guidelines and try to keep their weight at a low healthy level. They balance out the blood glucose with medication if necessary. So a small sweet pudding is allowed now and again. However some diabetics do like to go low carb and find this helpful but this is not what most Drs advise.

BIWI Fri 12-Jun-15 22:01:52

It's about the carbohydrate content Wotsup.

If they are insulin-controlled, it's probably different. But if they are type 2 diabetics then they should be controlling their carb intake, hence no/little sweet stuff.

And yes, berries are sweet, but they are also low in carbohydrate.

SaltySeaBird Fri 12-Jun-15 22:10:34

Diabetic here and I just had half a tub of Ben and Jerry's Phish Food for pudding ... oops!

BUT as a Type 1 diabetic I can have pudding, ice cream, chocolate ... I just need to dose my insulin accordingly. I do eat healthily as a whole and exercise but allow myself an occasional treat.

Type 2 is harder but the occasional treat is okay. Careful stewing fruit, it increases the sugar.

Strawberries and cream is good. My Mum does a good diabetic trifle (we have a few of us in the family). She makes the sponge with almonds and xylitol. Any low GI pudding is normally good. Rhubarb fool is another suggestion.

Purpleball Fri 12-Jun-15 22:13:05

I'm type 2 and have been advised by my consultant and dietitian to follow a low GI diet rather than cutting anything out.
However I have found that white flour sends my blood sugar sky high so I avoid it where possible and go for wholemeal or granary/seeded options instead
I'm also on insulin which means I can account for the occasional dessert but I don't do this often.
Nowhere is it written that a diabetic cannot have a dessert, they should follow a healthy balanced diet. The occasional treat is fine providing they have good control

Wotsup Fri 12-Jun-15 22:22:50

BIWI " ...he shouldn't be eating sweet stuff anyway!" hence no/little sweet stuff.

I know about T2 as I am T2. I think it was the exclamation mark that got me annoyed. I think you should respect the actual diabetic and ask what suites us; we are all at different stages and tolerate foods differently.

I'm fed up people telling me what I can eat and being judgemental without knowing jack sh*t!

Please what ever you do, NEVER buy diabetic foods, They are a rip off and often cause the runs.

BIWI Fri 12-Jun-15 22:30:29

Well of course you are, Wotsup. However, in general, it's still the case. Apologies for the exclamation mark. It was, to be fair, In response to this:

Last time I made a batch of low G.I. Biscotti. Sadly this was swilled down with half a bottle of pudding wine that almost polished him off. (Not my fault!)

... in the OP.

BIWI Fri 12-Jun-15 22:31:34

I wasn't trying to be judgmental, and I do know about diabetes. My father is a Type 2, insulin-taking diabetic, and my grandmother was also a Type 2 diabetic, so it's something I've grown up with - and am trying to avoid in my own, later life.

Ludways Fri 12-Jun-15 22:36:41

My sister is diabetic, she always has the cheeseboard, never has a sweet pudding, she'd rather have a drink, lol

jaynebxl Fri 12-Jun-15 22:40:49

Ask if he is T1 or T2. If he adjusts his insulin according to his food he might appreciate a nice normal pudding.

Wotsup Fri 12-Jun-15 22:49:19

OK, BIWI. Please avoid diabetes at all costs. You won't really know about it unless you have it...and then you'll only know about yours. smile X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now