Talk

Advanced search

Jacket potato fillings

(14 Posts)
Iloveonionchutney Wed 10-Jun-15 16:56:18

I'm looking for new ideas (not the regular cheese, beans etc), either very quick and simple or something I can freeze in small portions to get out the same day. Need some inspiration for things a bit different please!

mistymeanour Wed 10-Jun-15 17:26:10

Vegetarian or meat chilli is great in baked pots with sour cream. You need a lot less than if you have it with rice (great for leftovers). Using sweet potatoes for the white with chili is great.
Shop bought Coleslaw is good to if you need a standby.
When I was a child my mum heated up leftover gravy to go over the baked potatoes with some stir fried or steamed cabbage as the filling.

These are more unusual fillings - e.g. Honey, grape and goat's cheese ??
www.buzzfeed.com/arielknutson/amazing-ways-to-eat-a-baked-potato-for-dinner#.ik4LA2o67

Iloveonionchutney Wed 10-Jun-15 17:33:25

Ooh thank you, that link has some fab ideas.
I'd not thought about gravy either, will give that a try with some veg.

jubles Wed 10-Jun-15 17:34:49

When I was a student I used to love a baked potato fried up with bits of bacon and mushroom and pesto with a some grated cheese on top.

Germgirl Wed 10-Jun-15 17:41:37

Goats cheese & pesto is my absolute favourite potato filling. But that's not freeze able. The pesto will keep a while in the fridge though and unopened goats cheese (the little logs) will also keep quite a while.

cdtaylornats Wed 10-Jun-15 18:36:22

Prawn cocktail is my favourite filling, and its easy - I just buy it

Iloveonionchutney Wed 10-Jun-15 20:06:04

Haha cdtaylornats I usually buy fillings too, might see if I can freeze th actually!
I have some red pesto so will have to try that too, thanks all!

Rollermum Wed 10-Jun-15 20:09:48

Hummus and tomato. Good with added cheese too. Not freezable though I think.

GaryBaldy Wed 10-Jun-15 20:13:36

I make extras of the following that I would serve with pasta or rice and save for topping baked potatoes:

- chilli
- bolognese
- korma
- casseroles

But my faves are shop bought sandwich fillers from the deli counter.

Iloveonionchutney Wed 10-Jun-15 20:19:02

I do keep leftovers but with my dh there aren't any very often!
I do love the shop bought ones just want something different. I'm 22weeks pg and fancying jackets all the time!

addictedtosugar Wed 10-Jun-15 20:41:32

Tuna mayo with sweetcorn.

Or, once the Jackets are cooked, scoop out the flesh, mix with cooked bacon and cheese, maybe some chives, put pack in the shells, and back in the oven for 20-30 mins. Or variations on those fillings.

987flowers Wed 10-Jun-15 23:21:55

Delia does a recipe with stuffed jackets where you scoop and add Boursin, leeks and a bit of cheddar. It's delicious!!

Iloveonionchutney Thu 11-Jun-15 00:19:20

Ooh I love the sound of the scooped out recipes, will definitely give all these a try too, thanks.

pengymum Thu 11-Jun-15 00:28:32

Lightly fry mushrooms & onions with garlic in butter and mix with the scooped out insides of jacket potatoes & some grated cheese. Pile back into skins, top with more grated cheese and bake till cheese melts.
serve with salad of choice. Or beans. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now