Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best supermarket for naan bread?

(19 Posts)
mrssmiling Tue 09-Jun-15 14:06:28

I'm cooking for a curry evening, and need to provide naan bread. I usually buy garlic and coriander ones from Aldi - the Bilash brand. They are reasonably okay, and very cheap, but can be dry and a bit heavy. Any recommendations for other supermarket brands?

Seriouslyffs Tue 09-Jun-15 14:10:42

shop bought ones are a bit rank, I'm afraid
Can you ask your local Indian to do take away? Or parathas are delicious and a bit better tempered for make and reheat later.

CoffeeBeanMonster Tue 09-Jun-15 17:03:07

I would get some cheap ones, melt some butter and garlic and spread over the naan. Put water on greaseproof paper, cover the naan bread and shove in the oven (keep any eye on the greaseproof paper). This will make them much more moist.

HiawathaDidntBotherTooMuch Tue 09-Jun-15 17:06:26

I really like the peshwari naans from sainsburys. They're full of coconut and sultanas and quite cheap, 50p or so iirc.

FawnDrench Tue 09-Jun-15 19:06:04

I really like the M&S garlic and coriander ones. They are a bit crispy on the outside and sort of spongy in the middle. Also they are very very tasty.
I always put a few drops of water on them before putting them in the oven.

SillyBlueHat Tue 09-Jun-15 19:14:30

Waitrose every time!
I make special trips there for nan bread as can't stand dry, Sharwoods type ones

PrawnJalfrazi Tue 09-Jun-15 19:20:56

Always get the elongated egg shaped Garlic & Coriander naans from Sainsbury's. 2 in a back. Very large! They are more moist and nicer than the M&S ones (IMO).

When cooking you should always drizzle a few drops of water on a naan to keep it moist and soft.

PrawnJalfrazi Tue 09-Jun-15 19:23:01

Pack! not 2 in a back.

SlinkyB Tue 09-Jun-15 19:31:31

I agree with Prawn (apt NN here!). Had some Sainsbury's garlic and coriander ones on the weekend, and they were far lighter and softer than the Asda ones. They're in the fresh bread aisle, rather than world foods.

I always sprinkle with water and only grill for 1 min or so each side. Over cooking makes them hard and cardboardy <bitter experience>.

makeminea6x Tue 09-Jun-15 19:33:42

We started buying flat breads instead from Tesco. They are nowhere near as heavy. Also in the fresh bread bit.

karmakameleon Tue 09-Jun-15 19:59:45

Our asda has a frozen world foods section. The naan bread they stock are the same brands as our local Indian grocers and some are pretty decent (much better than most supermarket versions). The frozen parathas are really good though and definitely worth trying.

mrssmiling Tue 09-Jun-15 20:12:00

Thanks everyone! Will probably go to Sainsbury's tomorrow, as it is nearest, but will try out others in the future. Cooking tips very useful...will sprinkle with water! smile

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Wed 10-Jun-15 15:08:53

While we're on Indian bread in supermarkets, can anyone suggest where to buy chappatis, preferably decent ones?

Yes, I know I can make my own or seek out an Asian grocer, but I am lazy and would like to know if there's an easily available half decent alternative.

PolterGoose Wed 10-Jun-15 15:54:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Germgirl Wed 10-Jun-15 16:01:37

M&S are the only supermarket naans I would consider buying, they're so different to the usual doughy offerings.
I run them briefly under the tap & then put them in the oven. They're really nice.

PointyBirds Wed 10-Jun-15 16:09:08

I made my own naan the other day. It was dead easy and they were gorgeous, so much better than any shop bought. Only about the same level of faff as pizza dough, which we do all the time anyway.

karmakameleon Wed 10-Jun-15 17:21:26

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat. I've seen chappatis in the world foods aisle at asda and sainsburys and in the frozen world foods at asda. They are the same brands as in the Indian grocers and they're ok.

controlaltdlete Wed 10-Jun-15 17:23:44

Definitely worth having a go at making them yourself, they're much easier than you'd imagine.

couldthisbeit Wed 10-Jun-15 19:17:45

The only half decent ones I have found are the Sainsbury's Be good to yourself from the bread aisle. Small, but 4 in a pack, whack oven up to full and sprinkle them with water before they go in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now