Talk

Advanced search

Can I store raw bacon-wrapped chicken in the fridge until tomorrow?

(4 Posts)
EthelCardew Mon 08-Jun-15 11:23:45

I've been veggie all my life but cook meat for my DH and DD. Having very little experience, I'm wary about storage and handling etc. and have a quick question:

If I open a pack of chicken breast and use half to make tonight's dish, can I prep some bacon-wrapped chicken and put it raw in the fridge wrapped in cling film to cook tomorrow evening?

I'm trying to plan and prep meals to make the most of the meat I buy but usually end up throwing some out because I'm scared it's going to make them sick!

The pack says 'use immediately', MIL says a day should be fine as long as it's in date and not smelly. I'm wondering what other people think.

funnyossity Mon 08-Jun-15 11:44:19

I do that sort of thing all the time but use a covered glass dish rather than cling film - my preference. As long as you do the prep quickly using it next day is fine.

What you will have done is opened the pack and exposed it to new bacteria in your kitchen. However at this stage the major issue is stopping the chicken contaminating your kitchen and fridge rather than vice versa! If the meat stays refrigerator cold, bacteria wont multiply quickly enough to cause a problem. The main point is don't let the meats get to room temperature at this interim prep stage.

EthelCardew Mon 08-Jun-15 16:10:02

Thank you funny, that makes sense.

Georgethesecond Mon 08-Jun-15 16:11:45

Yes you can do that without worrying.

If you haven't previously frozen the chicken or the bacon and no one wants to eat it tomorrow, you could also freeze the bacon-wrapped chicken.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now