Best summer porridge recipe, please

(9 Posts)
sparkysparkysparky Sun 07-Jun-15 08:56:48

Just discovered this at a recent b & b stay and LOVED it. Do you have a good recipe for it? B & b gave me a version which I stupidly didn’t note down.

pinkpanda101 Sun 07-Jun-15 15:55:01

I used this recipe and adapted it. I use 0% fat Greek yogurt and oatbran, and add raspberries or banana, and sometimes pumpkin seeds or dried cranberries. I make it in a screw-top Tupperware so I can take it with me if I am running late. Fills me up beautifully.

This easy, no-cook “summer porridge” has make-ahead convenience and is packed with nutrition to get your day off to a healthy start. Make it in individual mason jars for a perfect serving size and an easy grab-and-go breakfast straight from the fridge (it’s eaten cold). Take it along to work or anywhere. Great to serve on a breakfast or brunch buffet. High in protein, calcium & fiber; low in fat & sugar.

Breakfast doesn’t get much easier (or healthier) than these overnight oatmeal jars. I am very picky about how I like my oatmeal. I usually don’t like to switch things up, but these recipe’s converted me! I love having something healthy that I can grab as I am going out the door. Big thanks to the yummy life blog for this great idea.

Directions
1. Add the following to each mason jar:

1/4 cup uncooked old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup milk of choice
1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp. chia seeds (optional)
2. Put a lid on the jar and shake to combine.

3. Next, add desired mix-ins and stir gently, to combine. We have been using fresh fruit, fruit preserves, peanut butter, cocoa powder and honey. You can use whatever you like! Some examples:

1 Tbsp. blueberry preserves + 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
1 Tbsp. strawberry preserves + 1/4 cup fresh sliced strawberries
1/4 cup applesauce + 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. peanut butter + 1 tsp. honey
1 Tbsp. cocoa powder + 1/4 banana, sliced
4. Secure lid and place in fridge overnight and up to 2 days.

I take the following to work sometimes:

Layer of natural yoghurt
Layer of raspberries and blueberries
Drizzle of molasses for iron
Thin layer of oats
Repeat, then end with a final layer of yoghurt and berries.

I slice a banana on top when ready to eat it.

sparkysparkysparky Sun 07-Jun-15 17:49:37

Ok. Now I'm hungrygrin Thanks for the fab ideas.

Sylviecat Thu 11-Jun-15 12:30:14

Never heard of this before but made some this week and it was delicious. I mixed in peaches/raspberries and pumpkin/sunflower seeds. Yum.

Walnutpie Thu 11-Jun-15 12:38:50

Bought some rather expensive coconut milk from the chiller cabinet this week and used it for overnight oats. It was delicious, really really good, just so simple.

sparkysparkysparky Thu 11-Jun-15 13:44:11

Found the recipe :
Soak 100 g of oats in 150 ml of apple juice overnight.
Next morning add two tablespoons of yoghurt and whatever fruit you have and fancy such as apples, grapes, banana, strawberry, blueberry. Nice with pumpkin seeds on top too.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 11-Jun-15 23:55:40

Oh I love overnight oats, but I'm so downmarket!

I just use a Yeo full fat yog: 3 big spoons of that, a good shake of porridge and a slug of milk, mix then leave in the fridge overnight.

I just bought some Skyr today though so am going to give it a bash with that..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now