Talk

Advanced search

Cold main course for a posh picnic

(36 Posts)
MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 16-May-15 23:30:09

Dh and I are going to a posh picnic soon (diner en Blanc), it's like a flash mob picnic and we have to take 3 courses of food. I'll do tapas for starter ..... What can I take for main course? Something that travels well and has to be eaten with a knife and fork from a plate..... Any ideas that aren't cold salmon and salad?

cdtaylornats Sun 17-May-15 07:24:03

A posh game pie - you can either make one or Waitrose/Asda/Delis can supply

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Sun 17-May-15 07:27:07

You can make a nice salad with watermelon, goats cheese, cress-like thingies (sorry here they are called zwiebelsprossen but I don't know what they are in English!) and toasted pine kernels. Is very refreshing and looks very posh. Take the ingredients in separate Tupperware boxes and assemble at the table!

FauxFox Sun 17-May-15 07:30:23

Smoked salmon and asparagus Quiche? Coronation chicken with rice salad? Chorizo frittata with grilled vegetable salad? Filo parcels filled with spinach and feta and Greek salad?

Rivercam Sun 17-May-15 07:31:39

platter of cold meats,

Blarblarblar Sun 17-May-15 07:33:11

greater I did watermelon and feta salad the other day my in laws thought I'd lost it, was delicious and your right looks nice.
If your doing tapas for start how about frittatas and salad.
Or a chicken salad with a peanut dressing, use cabbage, carrots etc instead of leaves that's one of our picnic treats.

Allgunsblazing Sun 17-May-15 07:36:10

Stuffed picnic loaf? Google it, you can put anything in it smile

Mominatrix Sun 17-May-15 07:46:19

quiche
cold sliced meats and grilled vegetables
Pasta salad with your choice of protein and veg - does not have to be typical pasts, how about an oriental pasta like soba or udon or chap chae (korean)
vietnamese summer rolls
chicken skewers with dip

Mutley77 Sun 17-May-15 11:00:43

What sort of tapas are you doing for starter?

I would probably do a nice salad for main. Something like rocket/spinach with feta, roasted chicken, pine nuts and maybe some butternut squash. Served with some baguette or nice sourdough and white wine!

But not sure that woudl follow tapas that well. Could you change the starter, maybe do some kind of fish / seafood - such as smoked salmon bruschetta or blinis, or some nice prawns - or even a platter of prawns, crayfish, oysters, etc (if you did bruschetta you would probably need to leave the bread out of the salad for main but could put some quinoa in it if you felt that carbs were needed)

SwedeDreams Sun 17-May-15 17:15:01

Puff pastry tart with pesto/mozzarella/tomatoes/basil?

Miniature pasties with chicken and sweetcorn or mini jerk chicken patties?

Dontlaugh Sun 17-May-15 17:19:10

I did a pear and walnut salad with goats cheese recently - went down very well. Toast walnuts first, throw everything in containers and assemble in situ?
My fail safe starter is crabmeat and mango with red chili wrapped in lettuce leaves.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sun 17-May-15 17:21:59

Thank you, some good ideas. We have to take a three course meal, which is why I'm not so keen on the salad side of things. It doesn't really say three course meal to me. I'm thinking about Japanese noodle bowls to which I can add hot spicy broth from a thermos, kind of construct it when I get there. Then I could do sushi / sashimi for starter.....

Dontlaugh Sun 17-May-15 17:24:28

Is this picnic in Kensington Palace?! smilegrin

SuburbanRhonda Sun 17-May-15 17:25:07

Hot Japanese broth travels well?

OP, you're either an amazing cook with very low blood pressure or you are determined to make work for yourself!

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sun 17-May-15 17:38:52

This is what we're going to. Hot liquid in a thermos should be fine shouldn't it?

Dontlaugh Sun 17-May-15 17:48:37

Wow! I love the look of that!
Must investigate. Being the age I am, having to wear white to something and bringing hot Japanese liquids wouldn't go hand in hand, but still it looks amazing.
Have a great time! And consider the salad.

Dontlaugh Sun 17-May-15 17:51:23

I'm invested now..... If you're bringing tapas to start, would you consider paella in a broth flask?
Timing it to perfection, obvs, to avoid salmonella.

pregnantpause Sun 17-May-15 17:56:44

I think broth would work perfectly.

I'm not great with Japanese style cooking so I would take

Cold soup- Gazpacho or courgette and mint, melon and chilli ( sounds odd but it's lovely)

Main- roast crushed new potato salad ( lots of herbs and rocket) with cold medium rare thinly sliced roast beef and fresh horseradish

Very jealous of your posh picnic op smile

SuburbanRhonda Sun 17-May-15 17:57:09

Carrying hot brown liquid to a posh do dressed in white and with white table linen?

What could possibly go wrong?

Dontlaugh Sun 17-May-15 18:23:16

My point exactly Rhonda - I was that 2 year old, now I have that 2 year old grin.
Stakes are high at this picnic though, so broth it well may be.

Dontlaugh Sun 17-May-15 18:24:41

A clear broth, perhaps? Given the linen involved.

Stinkersmum Sun 17-May-15 18:26:46

Cooked fillets of salmon? With mixed leaves and potatoes salad?

Stinkersmum Sun 17-May-15 18:27:42

Oops, just reread your post. blush

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sun 17-May-15 19:24:55

Yes I was thinking a clear broth, some kind of chili beef ramen bowl. I do manage to carry a thermos cup of coffee with me most days and not spill it, should be ok..... Although I like the idea of rare beef, horseradish and potato salad too...

Blahblahblar, can you give more details of your chicken salad with peanut dressing and cabbage? Sounds perfect (although we are veggie so would probably use tofu or quorn).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now