Talk

Advanced search

anybody perfected making coconut yogurt

(8 Posts)
sPJPPp Sat 21-Mar-15 12:49:34

I love the stuff, but its soo expensive. I've tried a few times with probiotics and thermenting without much luck. Anyone perfected it? I just get a layer of fat and water, not thick and creamy

angstybaby Sun 14-Aug-16 21:47:23

I wouldn't say i've perfected it but it didn't separate.

i put 2 cans of waitress coconut milk in the slow cooker on low for 2.5 hours, then turned it off. 3 hours later i added some live coconut yoghurt, some maple syrup, stirred it in, then sprinkled 2 teaspoons of agar flakes on (don't stir). wrap the cooker in a towel and leave for 8+ hours.

it was quite runny but was definitely yoghurt and didn't taste overwhelmingly coconutty, which is handy as my DD doesn't actually like coconut!

i'm still working on it...

YelloDraw Mon 15-Aug-16 15:00:43

I love coconut yog! Let me know if you perfect it.

puffinpants Wed 17-Aug-16 20:53:12

Angstybaby- can I ask, when you say live coconut yoghurt do you mean the normal coconut yoghurt you can buy at waitrose? Or any specific one?

GreatPointIAgreeWithYouTotally Wed 17-Aug-16 21:00:35

Can't you just add creamed coconut to homemade yoghurt? I just put some coconut cream left over from a curry in with my oats/nut mix with normal yoghurt today and it tasted coconutty but not too much.

YelloDraw Thu 18-Aug-16 12:37:18

Can't you just add creamed coconut to homemade yoghurt? I just put some coconut cream left over from a curry in with my oats/nut mix with normal yoghurt today and it tasted coconutty but not too much.

I think the idea is it is dairy free, which normal yog isn't.

FlindersKeepers Sat 20-Aug-16 23:27:30

You can't really culture from bought coconut yogurt, as the culture doesn't live long enough. If you can use a live milk yogurt culture then great.
If you need a non-milk starter, then buy the cultures from Amazon and store in the freezer until needed.
When I make a batch, I use the oven light to maintain heat - it takes much longer than milk to culture. For thicker yogurt, use agar agar or place the unopened cans of coconut milk in the fridge for a few hours then open the tin from the other end - you'll be able to remove the water as the coconut cream will have solidified at the top of the tin.
Adding a tiny bit of coconut sugar helps to feed the culture too.

FlindersKeepers Sat 20-Aug-16 23:35:55

Coconut yogurt also firms up a lot after being well chilled.
This is the culture I use LaVita yogurt culture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now