Advanced search

I want a Middle Eastern cookbook - Persiana or Jerusalem?

(15 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Sat 14-Feb-15 13:25:39

Both have some great reviews. Any thoughts?

SwedishEdith Sat 14-Feb-15 13:28:51

We've got both and there's a lot of crossover. I'd get Claudia Roden's Tamarind and Saffron, tbh. But, any of them will be fine.

TheLondoner22 Sat 14-Feb-15 13:30:01

I have Persiana - FAB!

IHeartKingThistle Sat 14-Feb-15 13:47:17

Thanks! Read some reviews saying the recipes in Persiana were over seasoned?

IHeartKingThistle Sat 14-Feb-15 17:16:47

AgentCooper Sat 14-Feb-15 17:21:48

Both are great! I find Persiana a bit easier but then you are probably a better cook than me wink

Claudia Roden's Arabesque is good too, and A Middle Eastern Feast (the latter is just a tiny wee paperback from Penguin but the writing is so evocative and she describes the origins and associations of lots of ingredients beautifully).

ireallydontlikemonday Sat 14-Feb-15 18:24:48

Haha, I started this exact thread yesterday! I got them bothgrin

pregnantpause Sat 14-Feb-15 18:25:02

I don't have persiana but Jerusalem is lovely- I also have Claudia roden arabesque but prefer Jerusalem. The jewelled kitchen is definitely worth consideration too ( not really answering your question just adding more options to ponderwinkshock)

IHeartKingThistle Sat 14-Feb-15 20:10:56

Not more options!

Ha Monday should have checked!

GrannyGoggles Sun 15-Feb-15 07:16:03

I have both and prefer Jerusalem. Another vote for Claudia Roden, esp A Middle Eastern Feast which I've had for years and years and is now v tatty from heavy use.

IHeartKingThistle Sun 15-Feb-15 17:41:54

I think that's just about come down on the side of Jerusalem!

Djchickpea Sun 15-Feb-15 18:46:48

I have both and have cooked lots of recipes from Persiana, easy to follow, accessible style and no complaints from the family so far! Jerusalem I've found is a bit more of a coffee table type book, lovely pictures but haven't been tempted with any of the recipes

Cumberlover76 Sun 15-Feb-15 18:51:18

Love Jerusalem, some delicious and not too difficult recipes. Not seen the other book though.

TwoLittleTerrors Sun 15-Feb-15 18:52:33

I have cooked a lot from Jerusalem. Everything I have made from it is excellent. Can't understand why it's considered coffee table?

I just got Persiana. It looks very interesting but haven't got time to cook from it yet.

Kundry Sun 15-Feb-15 22:03:57

Claudia Roden - loads of recipes, list of ingredients not bonkers. For me the original and still the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now