Talk

Advanced search

What are your best 'cook from frozen' standbys?

(4 Posts)
RainDancer Thu 12-Feb-15 20:51:50

My 2 year old DD is usually at nursery during the day and has a main meal at lunchtime, then 'tea' at 3.30. That means that by 5 or 6pm she is hungry again, sometimes really hungry depending upon what she has eaten that day. At the moment I seem to be falling into the trap of letting her eat lots of snacks, some healthy, some less so! So I want too fill my freezer with lots of lovely goodies that I can whip out and heat up quickly when she says she is hungry. I need ideas! Anything from finger foods to snacks to full meals - but I must be able to cook them from frozen in the oven or microwave.

OftheTwilighttheDarkness Thu 12-Feb-15 21:01:54

I allways have homemade individual cottage pies and portions of spag Bol for when Ds decides he is hungry.

TyneTeas Thu 12-Feb-15 23:45:04

I used to freeze the little individual quiches, samosas and things like that from the deli counter for a quick but substantial toddler snack.

And I seem to remember packs of individual slices of garlic bread in the freezer being quite handy (You probably aren't meant to do them in the toaster, but I sometimes did) with a stick or two of cucumber, carrot, cherry tomatoes etc

Other than that I used to freeze toddler size portions of family leftovers (eg bolognese, chilli, mild curries - stuff in sauces in general) to quickly defrost and reheat in the microwave with a baked potato or some toast.

A breadstick to nibble while you prep something can avert a hunger-tantrum without filling them up too much as well.

And a slice of toast or toasted bread bun spread with some tomato puree, then whatever you have/they will eat eg a bit of ham, salami, peperoni, a sprinkle of frozen sweetcorn, a couple of thin slices of peppers and a bit of grated cheese stuck back under the grill for a minute or two passes for a pizza at a pinch

RainDancer Fri 13-Feb-15 18:29:43

Great ideas, thank you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: