Advanced search

What are your best 'cook from frozen' standbys?

(4 Posts)
RainDancer Thu 12-Feb-15 20:51:50

My 2 year old DD is usually at nursery during the day and has a main meal at lunchtime, then 'tea' at 3.30. That means that by 5 or 6pm she is hungry again, sometimes really hungry depending upon what she has eaten that day. At the moment I seem to be falling into the trap of letting her eat lots of snacks, some healthy, some less so! So I want too fill my freezer with lots of lovely goodies that I can whip out and heat up quickly when she says she is hungry. I need ideas! Anything from finger foods to snacks to full meals - but I must be able to cook them from frozen in the oven or microwave.

OftheTwilighttheDarkness Thu 12-Feb-15 21:01:54

I allways have homemade individual cottage pies and portions of spag Bol for when Ds decides he is hungry.

TyneTeas Thu 12-Feb-15 23:45:04

I used to freeze the little individual quiches, samosas and things like that from the deli counter for a quick but substantial toddler snack.

And I seem to remember packs of individual slices of garlic bread in the freezer being quite handy (You probably aren't meant to do them in the toaster, but I sometimes did) with a stick or two of cucumber, carrot, cherry tomatoes etc

Other than that I used to freeze toddler size portions of family leftovers (eg bolognese, chilli, mild curries - stuff in sauces in general) to quickly defrost and reheat in the microwave with a baked potato or some toast.

A breadstick to nibble while you prep something can avert a hunger-tantrum without filling them up too much as well.

And a slice of toast or toasted bread bun spread with some tomato puree, then whatever you have/they will eat eg a bit of ham, salami, peperoni, a sprinkle of frozen sweetcorn, a couple of thin slices of peppers and a bit of grated cheese stuck back under the grill for a minute or two passes for a pizza at a pinch

RainDancer Fri 13-Feb-15 18:29:43

Great ideas, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now