Talk

Advanced search

How to feed a fussy family

(7 Posts)
WotchOotErAPolis Thu 12-Feb-15 19:27:06

Any tips on how to handle the incredibly frustrating fussiness of a family of 5, each with individual likes and dislikes? I'm not a flipping restaurant!

I eat anything, but

- DH doesn't like wine in sauces; sauces in general; often comes in from work and just "doesn't fancy" what I've cooked and will go out and order a take-away [!]; criticises how I've cooked the potatoes [spotting a trend here...?]

- DS1 won't eat pastry or rice

- DS3 will eat e.g. pastry from a sausage roll DS1 won't eat; whilst DS1 eats the sausage; otherwise pasta

- DS2 is more like me and will try most things once at least

- none eat mashed potatoes; baked potatoes, unless cooked the slow way, vegetables

They will all eat KFC / Burger K / sausages / bolognese [though they complain if they have it more than once a month!]

I am getting sick of cooking and no-one eating, or having to cook multiple meals in order to cater for everyone, or having the family sit down and then two go off to heat up tomato soup. I used to be a good cook but am rapidly losing the will to even try.

My current strategy is to try some 'ready-meals' until I find one they all like, when I can then adapt it to cook from scratch myself.

cdtaylornats Thu 12-Feb-15 19:52:54

Cook what you want, invite the others to starve or cook.

Fairylea Thu 12-Feb-15 19:55:15

Dh should cook if he is so fussy.

I adopt the strategy of you try to eat what you're offered and if you don't then it's sandwiches or bread and butter!

TheRealMaryMillington Thu 12-Feb-15 19:59:56

1. Have A Word with DH - his approach is unhealthy and unsustainable.
2. Discuss a list of things people are prepared to eat/try. Make a list of 10 things that at least 3 people are happy to eat. Some of those meals might include adaptable elements so everyone will eat something: e.g. fajitas; curry with rice and breads.
3. Serve them up
4. If not eaten, toast and fruit might be available for those that try each element. Not for those who try nothing. DH can have his main meal at lunchtime whilst at work but not takeaway in evening - wrong message for kids.
5. Repeat.

Yuleloglatte Thu 12-Feb-15 20:02:08

I have a lot of fussy eaters. I love cooking so it's very frustrating. I tend to cook a 'theme' so tonight was toad in the hole. I had a lovely one with herbs in. DH had sausages. Dd had veggie toad in the hole. Dd2 had toad in the hole without herbs. Dd3 had fish fingers ( cooked alongside sausage so not too annoying. Dd4 had same as me but just picked. I serve 4 types of veg- they choose want they want and they put their own gravy on. In all honesty it's no more work than just making the basic meal. I do every meal on the same way. If they all eat the same I make a pudding. And I never wash up. They pay the price with their fussiness. I would be very angry if DH got takeaways- it undermines me.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 13-Feb-15 09:09:38

Stop pandering to them all. Go for plain cooking, serve in very small amounts (to reduce waste) and don't offer alternatives.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 13-Feb-15 16:02:56

BTW your DH sounds incredibly rude. If I'd made someone a meal and they turned their nose up at it and ordered takeaway they'd find themselves out of the door on the toe of my boot.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: