Talk

Advanced search

Made my very first roast - what now??

(3 Posts)
thatdarncat Tue 10-Feb-15 12:27:29

Hello

Managed to make my first roast chicken dinner yesterday with successsmile but now don't know what to do with the carcass, I'm thinking I should make soup but have never made chicken soup from scratch, can anyone offer some nudges in the right direction? The carcass is 1.6kg.
Thanks in advance.

EmberElftree Tue 10-Feb-15 12:35:56

Hurray! Take off excess meat then put carcass in a big pot with onion, veggies, garlic, herbs whatever you have to hand. Cover all with cold water, bring to the boil then simmer for a couple of hours making sure all is covered with water. Leave to cool then strain the solids. You can strain any fat off the top once it cools down. Then put whatever you fancy in for soup and feel healthful and pleased with yersel'!

I made lentil soup yesterday with 1 cup lentils, 2 carrots an onion, loads of garlic and a tsp of smoked paprika to trick myself into thinking it has bacon in it. It's delish.

scotchmincepie Tue 10-Feb-15 13:54:58

If you have a slow cooker then you can also make stock in a slow cooker. Do as above but just leave on low for 6-8 hours. Then strain off the stock (make sure you don't keep the carcass by mistake) and then use as stock in soup with any leftover chicken that you took off before you put the bones in the slow cooker.

I made a spicey chickpea and pumpkin really thick soup using chicken stock the other day - really good.

Or try this one....

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9831/roast-chicken-soup

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: