Talk

Advanced search

Too many bananas, help!

(11 Posts)
LowlLowl Fri 06-Feb-15 08:23:15

Hello all

Wondering if you can help with my problem. We got our online grocery delivery yesterday, complete with bananas for DS (absolute staple food in our house!) However, they'd given us twice as many as I'd asked for and they are all a bit bruised and overripe. I phoned up to complain, and they refunded the cost (hurrah!) but now I have a pile of free bananas and I don't want to waste them. Normally I'd just throw them in the freezer and make banana cake with them later, but I've already got about 6 bananas in the freezer and DH has only just finished the last batch of banana cake off. Ideally I'd like to save then for DS but I expect banana purée would be nasty when frozen. I wondered if banana yogurt might freeze well. Or if all you seasoned and far more experienced mothers/fathers out there had any bright ideas?

Thanks in advance (and sorry if this is in the wrong place, it's my first post - not sure how I've not needed to post anything yet since DS is almost 10 months old but we've muddled through somehow!)

SavoyCabbage Fri 06-Feb-15 08:26:38

I LOVe Nigella's smoothie.

Banana
milk
peanut butter
spoon of instant coffee granules

GrinAndTonic Fri 06-Feb-15 08:29:40

Banana chutney
Banoffee Pie
Banana Muffins
Banana Split

OnceMoreAgainWithFeeling Fri 06-Feb-15 08:35:07

Peel and freeze them, then pop them in the blender, either alone or with peanut butter, cocoa powder, berries, anything you want, and it has the texture of ice cream - still tastes like banana, (hence my addition of pb and cocoa! ) but makes a good pudding.

Banana amd mango chutney is really good! I've never made it but have eaten it.

MilesHuntsWig Fri 06-Feb-15 08:43:02

My husband would be over the moon and persuading me to make banana bread (one of two things I can cook well!).

LowlLowl Fri 06-Feb-15 09:08:12

MilesHuntsWig - DH is sick of banana bread - i need to give him a break! out of interest, what's the other thing you cook well? smile

I'm loving the smoothie/ice-no-cream ideas. DS might not get a look in at this rate!

Cantdothisagain Fri 06-Feb-15 14:23:43

I can't link from my phone, but the Netmums banana flapjack is great - and relatively healthy - google it as a change from banana bread...

RosyAuroch Sat 07-Feb-15 01:06:55

I have special monkey in my house who eats all the bananas. He will help you.

RosyAuroch Sat 07-Feb-15 01:08:04

But seriously simple pancakes

Cinnamoncookie Sat 07-Feb-15 01:23:42

Banana bread does freeze really well, so if all else fails you could make some and freeze it till your DH forgets !

scousadelic Sat 07-Feb-15 01:29:20

I was going to suggest pancakes but Rosy beat me to it. They are really good

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: