Talk

Advanced search

Slow cooker recipes and a sceptical DH

(14 Posts)
AnnieEdison Wed 04-Feb-15 21:55:33

I have just got a slow cooker after much thought. My DH doesn't think we need one. I need to prove him wrong. Please point me in the direction of your favourite recipes smile

00100001 Thu 05-Feb-15 15:40:02

ooooh slowcooker pulled pork!

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2865701/perfect-bbq-pulled-pork

AnnieEdison Thu 05-Feb-15 20:31:39

Thank you so much - it is like you know him grin

I did meatballs in tomato sauce today and it was lovely, and so easy! I think I will attempt the pulled pork at the weekend. He is already coming round and can't argue with pulled pork.

00100001 Thu 05-Feb-15 21:52:07

no-one argues with pulled pork! smile

LexLoofah Fri 06-Feb-15 02:32:54

You can do a whole chicken in one, no need to add any liquid. Then use it to make stock with the carcass, I leave mine on overnight

Curry in slow cooker is great, I posted my butter chicken slow cooker recipe on the lowcarb bootcamp recipe thread last week if you want to try that

Also made oxtail stew last week, lovely

Honestly don't think you will regret buying it

cdtaylornats Fri 06-Feb-15 08:42:53

I've done this in the slow cooker

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5846/greek-lamb-with-orzo

Just half the stock and cook the orzo seperately

CakeUpWall Fri 06-Feb-15 08:58:42

My DH was the same; moaning that it would be just another unused gadget taking up valuable space.

Suffice to say he's eaten his words (and lots of other things.)

Ours gets used most days, and over the last three years has had the unexpected bonus of making a noticeable difference to our energy bills.

Get yourself on "Slow cooked wonders smile" on fb. Loads of ideas on there. SCW admin are here on MN; expect one will be along soon. wink

Ludways Fri 06-Feb-15 09:00:43

We were the opposite in our house, dh bought the slow cooker and I thought we wouldn't need it. I have also eaten my words, I love it!!

Cleio Fri 06-Feb-15 09:28:28

My husband was the same, but now loves the slow cooker as much as I do. I currently have a beef rendang in it, an Indonesian coconut curry. The house smells great.

This is my favourite pulled pork recipe: touch.boards.ie/thread/2056106123
I use pork shoulder which I get quite cheaply from the butcher.

Hoisin chicken: equal quantities of hoisin sauce and soy sauce poured over chicken tighs/legs/drumsticks/wings and a load of veg until it comes of the bone.

I also do a batch of dried pulses once a week. Works out much cheaper then using tins. I do love pulses though and often eat them instead of bread and use them in everything.

CakeUpWall Fri 06-Feb-15 09:57:22

Be warned, OP, you won't stop at one!

First you'll buy a big'un to feed the family/ have leftovers for another day. Then you'll need a medium one for cakes, or smaller meals. Before you know it you'll be eyeing up a third for veggie side dishes...and on it goes.

grin

Ludways Fri 06-Feb-15 18:02:41

Lol Cakeupwall, you have a slow cooker problem!

Only a medium one in this house!

Wolfiefan Fri 06-Feb-15 18:06:00

Soup, stews, meat for roast, ham. Yum!
Did pulled pork carnitas tonight off allrecipes website. Yum.

cavkc Fri 06-Feb-15 18:10:27

Chilli con crane
Beef massaman curry
Lamb casserole
Spag bog

Really any curry, stew etc are really good

Wenglish Sat 07-Feb-15 20:32:14

That pulled pork looks amazing x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: