Talk

Advanced search

what is the third pudding?

(17 Posts)
scattercushion Wed 04-Feb-15 20:26:22

It's Dh's birthday on Friday and we are having 10 friends over for a meal. I am doing the puddings and am making a rich choc truffle (birthday) cake and a lemon tart. Do you think I should make a third option and if so, what?

LoveVintage Wed 04-Feb-15 20:28:34

Maybe cheese and biscuits with grapes, figs etc or have fruit in to make a fruit salad and some decent vanilla ice cream to hand in case someone wants a lighter option. Me - I'd have a bit of each..

Showy Wed 04-Feb-15 20:28:39

Maybe some cheese and biscuits?

Personally, I think two is fine but you could always chuck in a healthy or savoury option if worried or have some nice ice cream in the freezer.

Showy Wed 04-Feb-15 20:29:33

X-posts with LoveVintage by 4 seconds. We are clearly the great minds that think alike. I'd also have a bit of both.

Showy Wed 04-Feb-15 20:29:55

What else are you cooking btw?

Lucked Wed 04-Feb-15 20:31:23

I would have a bowel of mixed berries and have ice cream in the freezer. Even if everyone wants some of your puddings they might take a spoon of berries on the side so you won't be left with loads.

LoveVintage Wed 04-Feb-15 20:34:42

We play to our strengths Showy grin

scattercushion Wed 04-Feb-15 20:38:13

Great ideas thanks. Cheese and biscuits would suit the non-sweet tooth contingency. Main course is chilli beef ramen from the wagamama cookbook. Yes, dh is cooking for 12 on his birthday!

scattercushion Wed 04-Feb-15 20:39:22

Berries would be nice with the tart.

Showy Wed 04-Feb-15 20:41:24

That sounds an awful menu. Best not serve it to your friends. LoveVintage and I will be round (with our great hive mind) at 6pm to eat it for you. grin

Sounds lovely. My MIL decided for her 50th that she wanted all the women she loved and had been influenced by to share a meal with her. FIL cooked and MIL invited 35 so your DH should consider 12 small fry. grin

scattercushion Wed 04-Feb-15 20:58:36

But you two wouldn't be chatting you'd just communicate telepathically. Bit dull for me.

LoveVintage Wed 04-Feb-15 21:01:06

I am a veggie though so afraid you'll now have to incorporate another main course option. Actually don't bother, I'll just gorge on your many puddings.

Showy Wed 04-Feb-15 21:03:57

And I'm teetotal. And I only drink earl grey. I also prefer to eat from green plates wherever possible.

Please don't worry about not being able to join in the conversation due to the special bond Love and I share. You'll be too busy serving us to chat.

LoveVintage Wed 04-Feb-15 21:10:31

Well I am not teetotal, so I will be the lush in the corner with chocolate seeping down my face muttering about puddings. (Not for the first time)

scattercushion Wed 04-Feb-15 21:19:08

I live to serve. On green plates.
DH's going to be chuffed with the mystery (to everyone) guests. As for vintage's option, he'll just fish the beef out and call it veggie mwah ha ha.

KerryMehome Thu 05-Feb-15 11:48:48

Would you share the chocolate cake recipe please Scattercushion? Just read your post and am now salivating! I think I need a rich chocolate truffle cake in my life!

scattercushion Mon 09-Feb-15 18:39:20

Well the choc cake I made turned out to be a disappointment and I wish I had made this one which is incredible! You can't taste the coffee... only chocolate with a hint of chocolate.

lovebakerylondon.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/chocolate-espresso-cake-by-nigel-slater.html

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: