Talk

Advanced search

Manuka honey - any good and how do you use it?

(13 Posts)
vortexshedding Tue 03-Feb-15 20:15:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
FTS123 Tue 03-Feb-15 21:55:49

I only use Manuka honey for sore throats and coughs as its so expensive! Any old runny honey in our house otherwise!

Noggie Tue 03-Feb-15 22:06:05

Manuka on a spoon or spread on bread for sore throats- don't think it works if put in boiling hot drinks ?

RosyAuroch Tue 03-Feb-15 22:31:21

DH swears by a spoonful when he feels a sore throat cough or cold coming on sometimes followed by a whisky chaser. He'll mix the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon in and drink it. At first he used 5, but now says that 10 or 15 are worth the difference in price for effectiveness, as he uses about a jar each winter and usually manages to avoid being sick.

DeanKoontz Tue 03-Feb-15 22:35:44

I only use it medicinally. I have a 10+ jar that we put in drinks and on toast to combat colds, flu, stomach bugs etc. I also have a 40+ for wounds,burns, coldsores etc.

Normal honey at other times.

spilttheteaagain Wed 04-Feb-15 07:25:46

I read that 10+ is what you need for effective medicinal purposes and the higher the better. And you want one with the UMF logo on as that means its been independently verified as meeting that standard I believe.

It's v expensive though so I don't think I'd use it daily, just cheapy normal honey for porridge etc here.

Graciescotland Wed 04-Feb-15 08:07:31

Isn't there a lot of counterfeit Manuka honey on sale? Only something like one in seven jars actually have what they're supposed to in them.

I've always believed if you're going to eat honey then it should be as local as possible. So I buy from the beekeeper whose 8 miles away. Six quid for 454g but it is lovely, limited filtering/ heating. Only use it for yoghurt/ toast type stuff. If you raise the temperature above 40-50 degrees then you risk denaturing the honey so cheapy stuff for porridge/ hot drinks.

razzy74 Wed 04-Feb-15 22:28:06

UMF 10+ is good for the benefits, For my porridge I use Comvita Wildlands, because it tastes like Manuka and is cheap £7 for a big jar.

pickledparsnip Wed 04-Feb-15 22:32:39

I've just bought some Manuka honey from Amazon. Is raw, organic and 12+. I bloody hope it's good, as my son has had a hideous cough for ages, so hoping it will help. Apparently it's got to be 10+ to be any good, and raw and organic.

vdbfamily Wed 04-Feb-15 23:09:04

Local honey is great.
There are cheaper alternatives to Manuka that have similar qualities less known about.
If you can get hold of Ulmo or Tineo honey it is thought to be as good but not so well known.From Chilean rainforests and they are doing research on it at the mo which is why it is still more affordable. My beekeeping dad has been to Chile and met some of the beekeepers who run co0operatives out there to produce eough honey.You can buy it in medicinal tubes for treating madical conditions such as athletes foot too.
See
www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6882/10/47

vortexshedding Thu 05-Feb-15 09:24:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
RichardYeager Fri 17-Jan-20 06:07:46

I am having acne problem. I have been using it for my acne as well as for wound healing. I found it very effective for my acne as it has anti inflammation property.

dreamingofsun Fri 17-Jan-20 09:21:04

i used normal local honey when i had a cough recently and that worked really well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »