Talk

Advanced search

Vegetable Spiralizer - should I get one?

(14 Posts)
Tensmumym Sun 01-Feb-15 20:20:13

Should I get this? Do you have one and what do you use yours for? Thanks.

Pigleychez Sun 01-Feb-15 22:36:19

I came onto Mumsnet to ask exactly that!
A friend had been raving about hers on FB so thought it give it a try and bought this from Ebay.

Seen a recipe using it for sweet potato curly fries which I thought id try but not really sure what else to use it for.
If nothing else the DD's will think curly carrots strings are hilarious!

Tensmumym Mon 02-Feb-15 10:52:59

Bump?

HuevosRancheros Mon 02-Feb-15 11:04:48

Recent discussion on it here smile

Tensmumym Mon 02-Feb-15 11:11:51

Thanks Pigley. Have you used it much yet? How have you found it? I love that yours is £20 cheaper than the one she recommended - thanks for that. I posted on the Good Housekeeping thread and someone there said they use a blade on their food processor - very similar to a my fp which I hardly ever use blush. I've been inspired to buy one by the Deliciously Ella blog. This site also looks good.

Tensmumym Mon 02-Feb-15 11:15:14

Thanks very much Huevos. Do you have one?

Cecyhall Mon 02-Feb-15 11:26:15

I might give that Ebay one a go. I have a julienne peeler but the strings aren't long enough (and I also end up peeling my fingers quite a lot with it) so it's not really ideal.

Tensmumym Mon 02-Feb-15 11:29:36

I had a look on Amazon and that one has had mixed reviews Pigley - would you agree with the positive or negative reviews?

redpriestandmozart Mon 02-Feb-15 12:28:20

I have that one Tensmumym and it works like a big sharpener, there is a core left over and it does take a bit of twisting. So far we have only used it on carrot, cucumber and courgette we really are that adventurous! Hardly ever use it after the first few times. I can't imagine the bigger one is suitable for sweet potatoes as they are so hard, also the veg needs to fit into the end, largest being a fat cucumber. It continues to gather dust here along with coffee grinder, mini chopper, waffle machine sad

Tensmumym Mon 02-Feb-15 12:38:57

You sound like me redpriest and I'm sure I would have a waffle machine if I had the space. This spiralizer - or whatever I end up getting - is meant to be a kick start to healthier eating so I'm really keen to get something I WILL use. This is another recommended by a Mumsnetter as mentioned my Moondog on another thread.

redpriestandmozart Mon 02-Feb-15 12:46:23

Honestly go for a better one than I have, think that is my problem, it was cheap, it's a bit crap so therefore I don't use it. If you pay more for it, it looks better, it operates better then you will use it. Before you do buy it, gather up at least a dozen different recipes that you know you will like or you'll be stuck making carrot & courgette spaghetti! Oh just put the money you'd have spent on the waffle machine towards this as waffles are too fattening sad and the bloody machine is impossible to clean.

Tensmumym Mon 02-Feb-15 12:57:50

redpriest smile

Pigleychez Mon 02-Feb-15 23:12:18

Hasnt come yet but will update when it does smile

Tensmumym Tue 03-Feb-15 11:10:21

Thanks Pigley. I hope you're happy with it. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: