Talk

Advanced search

OMG - got to cook for 40. I need help!

(15 Posts)
vortexshedding Sun 01-Feb-15 09:46:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mulberrystreet Sun 01-Feb-15 09:52:57

I would do big pots of chilli/curry with rice/jacket spuds. Potatoes can be kept warm in foil. I am lucky thought in that I have two rather large slow cookers so can serve food and keep it warm in those. If you are only receiving the money to cover costs then you are not making profit and therefore not subject to laws I would assume? As for the snacks and bits, m and s food to order?!

iklboo Sun 01-Feb-15 09:53:11

I think a big 'pot' dish - chilli, hot pot, beef & ale stew would be easier. Do you know if you need to do a veggie version?

Jacket spuds & various toppings would be good, too.

GrinAndTonic Sun 01-Feb-15 09:53:14

If no one really does it anymore then why are you having to?
It sounds like a mammoth task especially since you are being told what to cook.
What about going for a theme to make it easy. Tacos work well and everyone can make their own buffet style. Dessert could be ...ok no idea.

gingerfluffball Sun 01-Feb-15 10:02:07

I second a big pot of something with baked potatoes, easy to scale up and keep hot.

I would make a few big trays of apple crumble for dessert, apart from peeling all the apples which would be a pain, it's easy to assemble and scoop out portions.

That's a tough gig you've got yourself, don't envy you!

marmaladegranny Sun 01-Feb-15 10:12:53

Is this held in a village hall? If so can you cook there having made it at home? If not then cook at home just before you go and wrap/cover in foil to transport.
Go for simple desserts, probably cold - although a crumble usually goes down well (remember the cream!).
What do you need by bits and pieces to snack on? Carrot, pepper and cucumber sticks, dips, cheese straws etc??
Regarding the costs - I would expect that you will be paid expenses, i.e. the cost of the food but suggest you check with the person who asked you to do it.

marmaladegranny Sun 01-Feb-15 10:14:19

Mean - not 'need'!!!

Have you really said that you'll do it all? That seems a huge undertaking and v unfair.

Why not ring them and say that you can do x and y but somebody else will need to do a, b and c.

Eg: If you did a slowcooker of curry and a slow cooker of chilli, for example, somebody else could do a load of baked potatoes and somebody else could do some salads.

PretzelPrincess Mon 02-Feb-15 12:51:00

I've done similar and gone for Asian food. So big pot of curry and rice, easy to make in one go for that many people. Raita/chutney/salad as a side, also easy to make. Then for snacks it can be something like samosas/kebabs which you can buy in and just heat up.

msperry38 Fri 06-Feb-15 16:41:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

curlyclaz13 Fri 06-Feb-15 16:46:33

www.nigella.com/recipes/view/cornbread-topped-chilli-con-carne-126
This is a chilli recipe that does 20, there is also a veggie version using red lentils, handy recipe as it is already at a very large scale. I don't bother with the cornbread just do the chilli bit.

Spatial Fri 06-Feb-15 20:30:48

A whole shoulder of pork, slow cooked for 24 hours, with apple or BBQ sauce and baps.

You need a bug oven and a big roasting dish, but it's super easy and cheap. And everyone likes it.

Spatial Fri 06-Feb-15 20:31:05

Big oven

SuperGlue Sat 07-Feb-15 15:18:38

That is a lot to cook for alright if you are doing it on your own. Having said that we had a party last summer and cooked for about the same number. I made slow cooked pulled pork in brioche buns with coleslaw and caramelised chutney - they worked out a real treat.

Basically I bought a large joint of pork from the butcher and followed a BBC Good Food recipe (loads on there) and I cooked it the night before, then marinated the meat in a pulled pork sauce (I cheated and bought this in M&S ) I also used one of those disposable tin foil dishes for cooking a turkey to cook it in and a clean one for marinading and reheating.

TO serve I gently heated the meat in the oven and then once it was piping hot I decanted into a large serving platter. I put all the brioche rolls, partly cut through into a large serving dish and had bowls of coleslaw (bought) and caramelised chutney (bought) and people just assembled their own 'sandwich' - it was a huge hit!!!

For nibbles we just had bowls of tortillas and dips, bacon wrapped around prunes & baked, nuts and crisps in bowls around dotted around the place. We also made many pitchers of mojitos which really got the party going.

For dessert I made a HUGE platter of mini portuguese custard tarts and they were demolished!

It was very relaxed as the only thing I had to worry about serving hot was the meat - every thing else was made the evening before / that morning and served cold - very handy

SuperGlue Sat 07-Feb-15 15:22:18

For other parties I have made giant pots of chicken curry with rice and poppadoms on the side.

And I have made large trays of lasagne (Rachel Allen has a very nice recipe I use) with salad and garlic bread

And on another occassion I cooked a whole salmon and had it with potato and bacon salad, cucumber relish and brown bread - also v popular and all made in advance

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: