Advanced search

HUGE bag of spuds - what to do?

(12 Posts)
Lioninthesun Fri 30-Jan-15 10:44:37

Hi all,

I was hoping to pick your foody brains on what I can make and freeze to use up a giant sack of spuds. I'm not really a potato person so they are starting to grow a few spuddy stalks....only just peeking through though! I need to use them up quickly but don't want to waste them. DD loves chips but I've not really made my own to freeze and wondered if anyone has a good (pref healthy?) recipe? I don't have a deep fat fryer.
Can I peel them and freeze or should I chop or par boil first?
Any ideas appreciated smile

BornToFolk Fri 30-Jan-15 10:52:07

You can make mash and freeze it. I love doing that as it makes a very easy mid-week tea - mash, sausage and peas all from the freezer!

I think you can par-boil and freeze ready for roasting but I've not tried that.

Have you tried making your own wedges? They are really easy. Cut potatoes into wedges, toss in a bit of veg oil and seasoning if you like (Cajun seasoning, a bit of chili or just S&P) and then bake in a hottish oven for about 20mins.

Costacoffeeplease Fri 30-Jan-15 10:59:45

Yes parboil, rough up, drizzle with oil
and freeze for roast potatoes, also bake them, scoop out the inside and mash with butter/milk/cheese, add bacon, fried onions or herbs and stuff the skins with the mixture and freeze

Lioninthesun Fri 30-Jan-15 11:25:06

I do mash with cream and butter blush does that affect how long I can freeze it for?
Thank you for those ideas - will deffo try the wedges. Trouble is wedges lead to much garlic mayo eating for me! Those bacon-y pot skins sound wonderful too! Thank goodness it's nearly lunch time smile
Thinking of doing some shepherds pie or something too...

ShadowSpiral Fri 30-Jan-15 11:44:41

You can add potatoes into soups and home made soups generally freeze well.

Admittedly this won't make your potatoes vanish quickly because it won't use them in bulk.

Costacoffeeplease Fri 30-Jan-15 12:39:41

Also leek and potato soup, that freezes well too!

ArcheryAnnie Fri 30-Jan-15 12:45:05

Make mash. Add butter, pepper and a spoon. Invite me round, and hey presto!, your spud mountain problem is solved!

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 30-Jan-15 13:11:58

My suggestion is to make a great big Pommes Boulangeres. Peel and thinly slice all the potatoes and layer them up in a big baking/roasting dish with thinly sliced onion and finely chopped garlic, seasoning each layer as you go with salt and pepper. Pour in enough chicken stock to just reach the top, dot with butter, a bit more seasoning, cover with foil and then bake the whole thing for about 1.5 - 2 hours 160-170C, removing the foil for the last half hour.

Reasonably healthy, very tasty and goes with anything you like... sausages, grilled things, even nice cold.

Lioninthesun Fri 30-Jan-15 17:44:50

Excellent! Thank you all! That should do the job. Sunday is going to be potato day in this household!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sun 01-Feb-15 19:48:28

We don't eat a lot of potatoes so whenever I get a bag I chop them, parboil them, then stick them in portioned bags in the freezer with a bit of oil. Plonk them on a preheated tray in the oven for 40 mins or so for roast pots.

Lioninthesun Tue 03-Feb-15 11:12:14

Thought I'd pop by to say another thank you - that Pommes Boulangeres was amazing! I've also done a large batch of leek and potato soup and frozen a couple of large ziplock bags of seasoned wedges and some parboiled for roasting. May well do the potato skins later today to use up the stragglers!

Costacoffeeplease Tue 03-Feb-15 12:38:55

Well done! Now you can feel all smug with all that sitting ready in the freezer smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now