Talk

Advanced search

A giant pot of something tasty that a rubbish cook can make?

(28 Posts)
Behooven Thu 29-Jan-15 20:15:04

I'm feeding 12 people on Saturday. I'd like to have something ready that I can just heat and they can help themselves from my 'cauldron'. I always end up with chilli so any ideas for something different? Must be meat based as I have a family of carnivores.

ireallydontlikemonday Thu 29-Jan-15 20:17:29

Pulled pork or beef brisket?

Behooven Thu 29-Jan-15 20:19:13

I also need the cooking instructions grin

Allalonenow Thu 29-Jan-15 20:19:55

Beef and mushrooms in ale.

Mintyy Thu 29-Jan-15 20:20:54

A lovely curry.

Surely you know how to google a recipe?

hrpufnstuf Thu 29-Jan-15 20:22:13

Sausage casserole - easy and very tasty. Made it last weekend intending to freeze it but it didn't last that long grin

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/great_sausage_casserole_73010

VoyageOfDad Thu 29-Jan-15 20:22:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Behooven Thu 29-Jan-15 20:26:36

Mintyy, yes I can google of course and it all looks great on t'internet, but this is more about tried and tasted MN recommendations.

Behooven Thu 29-Jan-15 20:29:35

P.s. I googled "a lovely curry" and the first 7 topics were from trip advisor!
smile

arlagirl Thu 29-Jan-15 20:31:25

The sausage casserole looks great

myotherusernameisbetter Thu 29-Jan-15 20:32:24

i make this all the time - you'd obviously have to increase the ingredients and it generally takes more liquid/time to cook the rice than it says:

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1167651/chicken-and-chorizo-jambalaya

myotherusernameisbetter Thu 29-Jan-15 20:32:41

or you could just make stovies.

JamesAndTheGiantBanana Thu 29-Jan-15 20:34:20

What's the point in having mumsnet if when somebody asks something we tell them to go and ask google instead? Everything you ever need to know will be on Google somewhere yes, but it's nice to have a little human interaction now and then, sheesh!

TyneTeas Thu 29-Jan-15 20:35:21

This chicken and bacon casserole is dead simple and tastes great

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/chicken-and-bacon-casserole.html

(scales up well too for more people)

iseenodust Thu 29-Jan-15 20:35:52

Three jars of Pataks curry paste (not curry sauce), tikka massalla or rogan josh. Follow instructions on jar - very simple ! For rogan josh I would add tin tomatoes if they are not in the recipe.
Push the boat out and make some minty cucumber yoghurt to accompany.

TwistAndShout Thu 29-Jan-15 20:36:45

I made pulled pork in the slow cooker last weekend for 12 and it was a big hit. Served with jacket potatoes and homemade coleslaw. I found loads of recipes but used one I found on mumsnet.

Mintyy Thu 29-Jan-15 20:39:42

Jamie
Mumsnet is brilliant for gathering ideas. I suggested an idea, did you notice?

Behooven Thu 29-Jan-15 20:40:11

Some really lovely ideas here, making me hungry in advance
Thank you!

FindMeAPixie Thu 29-Jan-15 20:40:30

Beef Latimer. Mary Berry recipe - beef casserole with a hint of curry powder and finished with horseradish. Served to friends a few months back and served enough for 12 people. 8 people wolfed the lot. Really easy to prepare before. Different enough from normal casserole iyswim to feel special. Served it with garlic/rosemary roasted new pots and green veg.

lavendersun Thu 29-Jan-15 20:41:44

I have made this several times - very easy and extremely nice with buttery mashed potatoes or baked potatoes and a green vegetable.

I don't cook for big numbers very often anymore and find it a bit intimidating these days, even though I like cooking.

I would do this x 3 if I had invited 12 people round:

realfood.tesco.com/recipes/normandy-pot-roast-chicken-with-apples.html

TheOnlyWayThrough Thu 29-Jan-15 20:43:24

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12751/fruity-lamb-tagine

This lamb tagine is delicious. Serve with couscous, which is ridiculously easy to make 10mins before you all want to eat smile

Laska42 Thu 29-Jan-15 20:45:51

This is yum Jamies hit n' run traybaked chicken and easy,you can make as much as you need (just do two trays ) and swap around in oven at half time (you can do it with chicken drumsticks also ) and why not put some nice sausages in to strech it further as well ?
Posh ones like pork sicilian (with fennel) , or pork and caramalised onion? or even those with smoked bacon in. Places like sainsbos,. co op etc , often do them on offer.

Serve with roasties or jacket potatoes (or hunks of french bread, or rice) and a big salad ..

Yum and loads..

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 30-Jan-15 13:23:57

My current favourite is a Pork, Apple and Prune Casserole which I've lifted from Delia. Best done in a wide shallow casserole/baking dish or roasting tin that you can serve at the table

Serves 4

- 1.5lbs Shoulder Pork or Belly Pork, trimmed and cut into cubes
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 Bramley Apple, peeled cored and thinly sliced
- 100g soft dried prunes without stones
- dollop of wholegrain mustard
- Old fashioned dry Cider... not the fizzy stuff.
- Garlic
- Dried or fresh thyme
- a little sugar
- 1.5lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced
- Seasoning

Heat the oven to 170C
- Get the pork pieces, onions slices and garlic going in the base of the casserole dish first until a little browned all over.
- Take the dish off the heat, season, sprinkle in the thyme and dot the prunes and mustard evenly around
- Arrange the sliced apple on top, sprinkle with a little sugar and then the sliced potato on top of that, seasoning as you go
- Pour in enough cider to come up to the potatoes and then dot the potatoes with butter
- Cover with foil and bake for 1.5 hours.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 50 minutes.

Behooven Fri 30-Jan-15 13:57:29

Thanks for taking the time to answer with such detail - I'm keeping this thread so I can return to it and try some different recipes.

Just back from the butcher, I'm going to attempt the lamb tagine. Anyone know if I slow cook it today and chill it overnight, will it reheat ok tomorrow evening?

lavendersun Fri 30-Jan-15 14:35:00

Things like that are often better reheated the next day imo - hope it goes well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: