Talk

Advanced search

Yoghurt that doesn't have shedloads of sugar....help?

(29 Posts)
donnie Wed 28-Jan-15 12:02:05

Hi folks. Can anyone suggest some yoghurts which don't have masses of sugar please? I don't want the fat free ones either. My two dds love yoghurt and I want them to eat it but I would prefer healthier types if possible.

TIA
xx

stargirl1701 Wed 28-Jan-15 12:03:51

Plain, natural yoghurt.

ChippingInLatteLover Wed 28-Jan-15 12:06:00

Greek yogurt. Plain. It takes a bit if getting used to but it's nice. I buy the FAGE TOTAL it's 3.8g of sugar per 100g.

Tory79 Wed 28-Jan-15 12:06:32

Rachel's yoghurts have no added sugar

hoppus Wed 28-Jan-15 12:29:04

Tesco have plain greek yoghurt in individual size pots, my DD eats those. Otherwise the big tubs of full fat Total greek yoghurt

ireallydontlikemonday Wed 28-Jan-15 12:56:47

Greek yogurt. I love it plain but mix in a handful of frozen blueberries for the kids.

TwoLittleTerrors Wed 28-Jan-15 14:34:02

Plain yoghurt, and I buy compote to sweeten it myself.

Artandco Wed 28-Jan-15 14:34:52

Total Greek yogurt.

FamilyAdventure Wed 28-Jan-15 14:41:49

Lidl plain Greek yoghurt. 10% fat, sugar free and delicious. Although I was told recently the Turkish one is even better but I've never tried it.

It tastes more like a proper pudding than a "guilt free treat" - it really annoys me when crappy food is advertised like that.

SunTree Wed 28-Jan-15 14:44:31

Is that true about Rachel's? Very good news, if so!

Graciescotland Wed 28-Jan-15 14:51:28

Rachel's are sweetened with fruit purees but still nice. I also buy the 10% fat greek style yoghurt which is sugar free, DS's tend to have it with fruit anyway or if I'm feeling kind a drizzle of local honey.

FamilyAdventure Wed 28-Jan-15 14:51:55

Rachel's yoghurts are delicious and are free from all the nasty additives in many brands but they do have loads of (organic) sugar in them, except the plain one.

I just checked the ingredients on a Strawberry one. Sugar is the 2nd thing listed, meaning it has more sugar than fruit.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 28-Jan-15 14:55:01

I like full fat greek with I sometimes add honey to.

ClaireFraser Wed 28-Jan-15 14:56:25

Another vote for Lidl Greek yoghurt, £1.69 (iirc) for a 1kg tub and is absolutely delicious.

They also do a really nice fruit yoghurt with a short ingredients list with ingredients I've actually heard of, same size tub again and about 20p more. It does have sugar but it's a 'sensible' amount iirc, plus it's not bloody revolting low-fat yoghurt.

MumSnotBU Wed 28-Jan-15 15:15:06

I make mine with a yoghurt maker from Lakeland £19.99 approx.its like a big bottle warmer and you just put 1l UHT milk in with a bit of old yoghurt (I use a basics one for a starter if I don't have some home made already) and leave it on overnight. It makes lovely natural yoghurt, not acid tasting, just creamy. And doesn't taste like UHT milk at all. Our 4 dcs eat loads of it for breakfast or pudding with fruit. Also great for cooking with, eg add to a curry sauce or use like creme fraiche. About 50p a litre which is half the price of the basics one, so you get your money back quite quickly if you go through about 3l a week like we do!

MumSnotBU Wed 28-Jan-15 15:15:46

That sounded like an advert! blush

SunTree Wed 28-Jan-15 15:21:38

MumSnot wins the thread!

Chalalala Wed 28-Jan-15 15:29:06

I had the same question as the OP!

it really bugs me how skewed the perception/marketing of "healthy" is. It's incredibly easy to find low-fat yoghurt, but near impossible to find low-sugar yoghurts other than plain yoghurts.

I would much rather buy a full-fat fruit yoghurt with no added sugar, than buy a low-fat yoghurt full of sugar.

Why aren't they making these?!!!

donnie Wed 28-Jan-15 18:01:23

thanks everyone - Chalalala I completely agree, I don't mind the yoghurt being full fat but it's the hidden sugar I want to avoid. I will definitely try the Greek yoghurts mentioned here, and add a little honey or some berries.

Back2Two Wed 28-Jan-15 18:02:52

Yeo valley.
They have sugar, but not loads and all the rest of the ingredients are good stuff

dreamingofsun Wed 28-Jan-15 19:43:08

agree with mumsnot, make your own with lakeland maker

Graciescotland Thu 29-Jan-15 15:06:59

The Rachels one without sugar is the taste explorers, it's aimed at young kids I think but my DS's 4 and 2 like them.

Tory79 Sun 01-Feb-15 17:01:35

Yes the taste explorer ones are what we get

BehindEveryCloud Sun 01-Feb-15 17:05:07

Rachel's My First Yoghurt is just yoghurt and fruit purée like someone above said. Tried it, taste nice.

Theonlyoneiknow Sun 01-Feb-15 17:05:50

Will deffo check out the lidl yogs

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: