Talk

Advanced search

To all you experienced AGA users, some advice please?

(7 Posts)
hfe3 Fri 23-Jan-15 12:05:51

Total Control vs 13a with AIMS?

I am in the process of planning a new kitchen and would love to put an AGA in. However, I cannot get my head around all the pros and cons in terms of
a) economics and
b) heat output.

I am very aware that the traditional, on-all-the-time, AGAs will both sap us of money and pump out heat non-stop. Heat is great in the winter when our kitchen (and house!) is freezing, but not so great in the boiling hot summer. I don't want to (nor have the room to) install a second back-up cooker. And the idea of extortionate running costs to keep an appliance going 24/7 so that I can spend 4 minutes boiling an egg in the morning for breakfast seems cuckoo to me.

However, I am a SAHM who loves cooking for my family, and especially enjoys baking. The AGA would not only suit our house, but also my cooking style.

I have been wooed by the 3-oven Total Control model at our local AGA showroom. But not by its pricetag!! So I started investigating second hand/reconditioned models and Total Control doesn't seem to have hit the second hand market yet. A cheaper alternative might be the 13a with AIMS installed.

At a push we could consider oil-fired, but I don't really want the associated hassle/costs of having to put flue into chimney and pipe the oil from the tank in the garden. I'm drawn to an electric model as I could choose internally vented and pretty much just plug it straight in.

So really my questions are:
What sort of heat does the 13a with AIMS give off when in slumber mode? Would it be bearable in the height of summer?

Any idea of running costs of a 13a with AIMS?

Any idea of running costs of the Total Control?

Can anyone with experience of either offer me their opinion and/or advice please? My head is spinning confused?

Thank you, all of you xxx

jonicomelately Fri 23-Jan-15 12:12:45

I have a reconditioned 13 amp without aims. It's hard to say how much the running costs are in isolation with all the other electicial items.
All I can say is it's used to the maximum. It heats two rooms (ie no need for radiators). I use it to dry clothes and cook on it all the time. I would advise putting in a back up oven for hot summer months. I would find the heat unbearable if we didn't do this.

hfe3 Sat 24-Jan-15 02:07:44

Thank you jonicomelately. The heat in the summer is something that worries me as I hadn't planned to have a second cooker.
I'm sure I would, like you, use it to the max but wonder how much aims makes a difference.

jonicomelately Sat 24-Jan-15 16:30:16

I really can't comment on AIMS but I would strongly advise that if you are going to spend such a large amount of money, it's really worth an extra couple of hundred quid for a back up in summer. You'll thanks me when it's blazing hot!

hfe3 Sat 24-Jan-15 22:17:45

Yes, the blazing summer with an AGA on is something I know we won't be able to bear. Our kitchen is a funny shape and isn't huge, so would need clever planning to incorporate a second cooker. I totally get your point about the £ - due to outlay, as you say, in the first place.

I'm so torn.

I've discovered an Aga Forum online and a thread 11 pages long slating the TC shock.
I've also discovered The London Cooker Company, so I'll be popping along there to find out more just as soon as I can.

jonicomelately Sun 25-Jan-15 09:22:58

You only need a small single oven as a back up so you won't need a huge amount of room to incorporate it.

getyoufancy Mon 06-Nov-17 20:30:06

Hi. New arrival so apols but hope it's helpful! Aga plus separate hob was the existing set up when we moved in; a bit limiting over summer when we turned it off, so we invested in the biggest combination oven we could find with a decent review (thank you, Which) which (sorry), in combination (done it again) with the hob sees us pretty comfortably through 'til the Aga's on again. Big roasts are a faff as there isn't room for meat plus roast veg, but a small price to pay if installing a full second cooker isn't an option. Other suggestion (and ours is an old-skool Aga; not a TC model) you can get the heating water option uncoupled from the cooking function which, if you've sufficient alternative means of heating water & CH, is a great way to slash your running costs. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: