Talk

Advanced search

Fresh ideas with mince?

(30 Posts)
RosyAuroch Fri 23-Jan-15 10:33:12

Hello,

A pound of mince is defrosting for the supper, and I can't decide what to make. I've done shepherd's pie, meatballs, bolognaise a lot lately...any fresh ideas?

Thanks in advance

nowitsenough Fri 23-Jan-15 14:43:16

chili con carne, homemade burgers, lasagne, moussaka, stuffed peppers?

FoxyMcFox Fri 23-Jan-15 14:45:09

Tacos
Burgers
Um.....another lasagne?

Tinkerisdead Fri 23-Jan-15 14:46:52

Pasticcio its a cross between mousakka and lasagne.

Or sloppy joes. Or meatloaf.

KerryMehome Fri 23-Jan-15 14:47:23

How about meatloaf or chill?

Hairybikers do an amazing meatloaf (it does have pork in as well as beef). It reheats really well too and is amazing cold in sandwiches!

uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/652447

RosyAuroch Fri 23-Jan-15 14:52:39

Thank you for the ideas!

I have no aubergines...do you think a moussaka with courgettes instead would work?

Maroonie Fri 23-Jan-15 14:52:39

I'd do chilli or burgers but for something totally different you could try a Keema curry

madamecake Fri 23-Jan-15 14:59:17

Courgette moussaka definitely works, I often do this I usually have courgettes lurking in the bottom of the fridge.

Bobotie is nice. Or a noodle stirfry with crispy mince (think that might have been a Jamie oliver recipe I tried).

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 23-Jan-15 15:00:57

Old fashioned but delicious, mince and dumplings

iklboo Fri 23-Jan-15 15:10:35

Brown mince with onions, garlic, peppers & courgettes. Add a pack of taco seasoning & stir through. Pour on a pack of passata or a tin of chopped tomatoes & hear through.

Cook some rice (any) until done. Drain & mix with mince, veg & tomatoey sauce.

Nicey spicy ricey!

pregnantpause Fri 23-Jan-15 15:27:56

Mince in red wine with rosemary scones. Proper winter food.

Mince cobbler with cheese scones

Mince pie

Mince and tatties

Gravy mince meatballs or tomato sauce meatballs

Meat loaf

Abitcomplex Fri 23-Jan-15 18:18:03

Might be a bit late now, but I have a great book called Mince! by Mitzie Wilson.

Has some fab recipes in it ie: mozzarella meatballs with a roast pepper sauce. Absolutely devine!

It only cost a fiver from the book club at work too. I recommend it smile

RosyAuroch Fri 23-Jan-15 18:22:31

Not too late! DH train delayed so not back til 8.30. Still can't be arsed to cook decide....

Might make moussaka filling and use it to stuff courgettes, top with lemon zest and pine nuts (have no cheese).

But also fancy keema curry as have flatbreads, spinach & chillis to use up and bought mango chutney the other day that looks nice.

RosyAuroch Fri 23-Jan-15 18:25:10

And also bought gf baking powder the other day especially to make dumplings . Have some suet needs using too. Used up all dried herbs though. Like herby dumplings.

Should I ask DH? Give him some say in his tea?

RosyAuroch Fri 23-Jan-15 18:33:06

Keema curry wins the DH vote. But with a request for dumplings next time I make a chicken casserole.

aquawater Fri 23-Jan-15 18:35:12

Bbc good food website has a tasty keema recipe. Search for keema with peas.

pregnantpause Fri 23-Jan-15 18:52:31

Abit- I too have mince! The nice and rosemary scones are from that book- it's lovely. And the pork and apricot burgers. It's a brilliant cookbook, one of my favourites ( and I have hundreds of cookbooks)

pregnantpause Fri 23-Jan-15 18:52:51

Mince not nice

Abitcomplex Fri 23-Jan-15 19:27:48

pregnant- I have my eye on that beef with stilton and rosemary scones recipe to do next! Akong with the pork and bacon pie with cauliflower cheese mash....grin

Sorry op, didn't mean to hijack your thread ... blush

The keema curry sounds good smile

nowitsenough Fri 23-Jan-15 20:41:41

Mmm some lovely ideas smile

pregnantpause Fri 23-Jan-15 20:48:48

Sorry again op- the pork and bacon. pie with the cauliflower mash is nice but very sweet. Dh didn't enjoy it, but I did. It's an acquired taste.

Seriously people mince! Is a good book grin

DishwasherDogs Fri 23-Jan-15 20:51:37

We've just had a keema with peas (think it's on the bbc good food website)
It was delicious.

DustBunnyFarmer Fri 23-Jan-15 21:02:31

We've just come back from one of those buffet restaurants. It was an Indian restaurant, but the kids spied lasagne near the chips and loaded up their plates. Seems it was made with keema mince base (DH had taken some). After some initial horror/panic, DH and DS1 agreed it was pretty good - slightly weird, definitely unexpected but good. So, I present to you Keema Lasagne.

DustBunnyFarmer Fri 23-Jan-15 21:03:26

The horror was at curried/spicy lasagne.

cdtaylornats Fri 23-Jan-15 21:35:50

Teviotdale Pie - www.food.com/recipe/teviotdale-pie-16606

5-Spice beef - www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1415663/fivespice-beef-and-sugar-snap-noodles

Both excellent and neither require potatoes, the first has a suet crust and the 5-spice has noodles.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: