Talk

Advanced search

making your own tofu

(7 Posts)
mrswhiskers Wed 21-Jan-15 12:19:10

Can anyone help a total novice?
is it best to use soya milk (if so is uht long life ok?) or to make my own?

Roughly how much milk do I need and how much tofu will it make?

Do I need a sugar thermometer for heating the soy milk to the correct temperature?

Does it work out cheaper than buying ready made? I'm currently buying a 300g block for £1.40 in the supermarket and it only does one meal for the family so hoping to find a cheaper option!
thanks.

Bunbaker Wed 21-Jan-15 12:28:29

£1.40 for the protein element of a meal for a family is really cheap if you compare it to the cost of meat, fish, nuts or cheese for example. I really can't see that making your own is going to be much cheaper.

Recipe here

mrswhiskers Wed 21-Jan-15 21:14:14

Going by that recipe i would need 2 litres of soya milk so it looks like it's cheaper to buy the ready made tofu.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Thu 22-Jan-15 16:43:45

I tried once - total fail. All chalky. Sorry - I have no advice!

littleomar Thu 22-Jan-15 16:49:22

Hijack - where can I buy a nice tofu mould, preferably wood?

mrswhiskers Thu 22-Jan-15 21:14:10

little they have some on amazon and more on ebay. I've just ordered a plastic one from amazon and bought some soya beans today to attempt to make my own tofu. If it's a failure then I can always use the press for shop bought.

Appervine Thu 22-Jan-15 22:01:58

I've made my own both from grinding up soya beans and soya milk and don't think there was much difference in the final taste. It's a lot less faff to buy it but - pre-children - I quite enjoyed undertaking little culinary experiments like this. I made my own mould by drilling some holes in a small square Tupperware and lining it with muslin.

If you do make it from the milk, it needs to be pure soya milk and not one with added oils etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: