Talk

Advanced search

Dinner ideas for friends - to suits adults and kids

(9 Posts)
mimolette Mon 19-Jan-15 13:44:14

I am after some inspiration for dinners to serve when we have friends round - stuff that is sufficiently interesting to for foodie-ish adults but will also suit fussy toddlers. Don't want to cook two meals but am struggling to find things that are not too much like nursery food and won't put off small kids (mine, for example, is highly suspicious of veg).
What do you serve when you have friends with kids round for lunch or supper?
So far on my list are:
HM pizza with DIY toppings;
Fish pie;
Lasagne (and variations);
Roast (but not doable on weeknight).
All ideas gratefully received.

BrieAndChilli Mon 19-Jan-15 13:51:28

Mexican - fajitas, salad, chilli, nachos etc
Curry - Korma for kids and something spicier for adults
Risotto

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 19-Jan-15 14:07:53

I suggest you make reasonably grown-up food (no chillies) with grown-up veggies and serve it up with a BIG basket of bread rolls and butter so that any fussy children can happily fill up without spoiling the evening. My stand-bys are mostly casseroles because I entertain solo. Current favourites are a Pork Apple and Prune Casserole and a terrific Delia one which is Moroccan Chicken with Chickpeas. Colourful ice cream for children's desserts with plenty of sauces and sprinkles and no-one will complain.

mimolette Tue 20-Jan-15 19:36:25

Thank you. Some great ideas that I will try here (and Brie, I love your user name!).

HettyD Tue 20-Jan-15 19:42:13

Pesto pasta, tomato mozzarella salad, cold meats, bread, cheeses,coleslaw etc always works for us - kids get sneaky pasta meal and grown ups can pick and choose...

Artandco Tue 20-Jan-15 19:43:48

Lamb tagine. With sides. A fussy toddler can eat it's weight in humus and pitta bread if needed.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 20-Jan-15 19:49:55

nigella traybake I do one tray without chorizo for the kids and one as per the recipe for the adults.

Or, I know you said no roasts, but a roast chicken is also a good bet. If time is short then two small ones rather than a huge one.

In either case, you can gussy up the sides if you are looking for foodie points smile

Canyouforgiveher Tue 20-Jan-15 19:50:38

At this point I kind of know what most visiting children will eat but if I didnt I would do pasta with a fancy sauce and a more everyday sauce (so maybe a blue cheese/bacon sauce and then a bolognase or tomato sauce) and serve separately so the adventurous kids can have any sauce they want and the really picky ones could have plain pasta. No matter what I serve, I usually put out bread rolls and a bowl of cut fruit (usually strawberries) so at the worst a picky child could have bread and fruit.

I find most children love roast dinners. Could be because they are not as popular where I live as in Ireland/UK but are still plain enough.

AnneOfCleavage Tue 20-Jan-15 20:24:43

We do a reciprocal meal date with friends who have fussy DC and I have done meatballs with rice, meatballs with pasta, a lovely gammon/bacon joint with mash/sauté pots and just tell DC it's ham, sausage casserole, fish pie just to name a few and serve with colourful veg. Adults have never complained and it's not nursery food but it's not too spicy/grown up either.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: