Advanced search

Recommendations for a toasted sandwich maker please

(11 Posts)
ErrolTheDragon Sun 18-Jan-15 11:03:43

Not sure which topic this should go under - I looked at product reviews but couldn't see toasties there.

DH got a Breville last year, but the non-stick coating is alread starting to bubble off the plates, so it needs to be binned. It wasn't ideal anyway. It didn't take enough filling, so it often oozed out nastily, and DD would have preferred the sort with ridges you can do paninis in. Not sure if there is anything that does that and also the triangular sort (different plates maybe?).

So, looking for a recommendation for a good durable machine.

AlmaMartyr Sun 18-Jan-15 21:56:43

We have a George Foreman grill and DH makes lovely toasties in that smile Not strictly proper ones but very tasty and versatile.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sun 18-Jan-15 21:59:21

I make them in a frying pan. No ridges but just as tasty!

ErrolTheDragon Mon 19-Jan-15 22:52:08

Well, if it was only me I'd just stick it under the grill, but DH and DD are more likely to make their own with a gadget. She definitely wants one of the sort with 'ridges'.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Tue 20-Jan-15 19:56:37

I'll have a look on which? for you next time I'm on the PC (I don't know my password on phone)

ErrolTheDragon Wed 21-Jan-15 10:23:54

Oh, thank you, that would be lovely of you! thanks

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 21-Jan-15 12:05:26

they haven't tested them since 2005! shockgrin

Here is amazon's page of toastie makers & panini presses. (Which? seemed keener on panini presses when they did test them, although they don't seal the edges.) Lots of these have lots of reviews so that should help!

DarkBlueEyes Thu 22-Jan-15 15:01:45

I use a George Foreman grill that MIL gave me. I haven't used it for grilling meat actually, now that I think of it, but it makes cracking toasted sandwiches and panini. If you already h ave one of those then I'd give it a try. If you like steak it might be worth buying one and then you have a multi use product!

ErrolTheDragon Sun 25-Jan-15 13:51:42

Thanks, I'll look at the GF ones. I'm not sure there is anything which would suit DH and DD - I'd thought in the past I'd seen something with interchangeable plates for triangles or 'ridged' but maybe that was wishful thinking.

According to the Times yesterday, toasties are 'in' again.

AlmaMartyr Sun 25-Jan-15 16:46:56

The GF ones have ridges so the toasties that DH makes are ridged. They're not crimped at the edges though.

taeglas Sun 25-Jan-15 17:05:42

Lidl are selling a George Foreman grill for £19.99 (up to 5 portions) from the 29th under kitchen basics. I have a smaller one than this which my teens use for toasted sandwiches. It is easier to clean than the sandwich toaster I had previously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now